Hobby Lobby 50% off rockets

Mark Hamilton wrote:

Unfortunately, my nearest store has not restocked after the "50% Off Coupon" several weeks ago (when I think I ended up buying about 20 kits). Today, I *did* buy a couple more Estes "Baby Berthas" (at that price, great for spare parts), as well as another Quest "SuperBird", which I thought had been discontinued by Quest. I think I will make this SuperBird into a D-powered "SuperBir-D".
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)

I don't have a local store at all, so I have zero stock available to me.
I live in a metro area of 2.5 million or more yet the only Hobby Lobby stores in the state are 90 miles away in cities of less than 100,000.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

Where do you live? I ask, since I have always been curious about large, long-built-up urban centers such as New York City. Do places like that have "Super Walmarts", or other *huge* "big box" stores (which necessitate *huge* amounts of real estate, not only for the building, but for parking...)?
Perhaps, next time we get enough advance notice for a sale such as this; you might possibly be able to find a "friend" near one of the stores in your region; so that you can take advantage of the sale. It's worth it, just for stocking up on parts, as I do. Just buy three or four Estes "Baby Berthas", Quest "Full Moons", etc. At under $4.00 apiece under the sale; its a great way to stock up on nose cones, engine mount parts, etc.
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux user #328317 - SlackWare Linux 10.1 (2.6.10)

Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota. I thought there used to a local Hobby Lobby, but the web site doesn't list anything.

They don't have hardly any of the big box stores in NYC. Target is not there and I don't think Walmart is either. Home Depot is there, but the stores are customized and don't sell stuff New Yorkers don't need.
Target builds two level stores in downtowns of large cities. The Minneapolis downtown Target has a smaller parking ramp attached, but most shoppers work downtown and just walk over.

The only reason I would buy any Estes or similiar rockets would be to build as displays for events like air shows, school visits, and Scout displays.
I don't really have any space for more rockets until I finish up several projects at home.
Brian Elfert

Yeah, same here. All these messages are just TEASING me... :-(
Eldred
Yeah, did that myself with the 'Bird...but be advised, redo the fins so they're TTW, and be sure to add weight to payload bay, or you'll never get both parts back. Trust me. :)
bob352 wrote:

Yeah, I had planned on the TTW....and even the kit instructions warn against flying with a "C", and an empty payload bay....
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)

Usually, that's a different sale, for plastic kits.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

In theory...true. But I have known quite a few modelers who have picked up the large scale MRC Mercury Capsule kit under this sale. Remember the quality of sales clerks we are dealing with,,,,
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
I got the Revell Saturn V during one of the 50% off weeks when I bought a lot of Estes and Custom kits. The cashier rung it up with the discount without batting an eye.

No, but they've frequently allowed these cross overs. Last time rockets were on slae I got the big Mercury capsule kit.
But they have plastic models 50% off just as often as rocket kits. Maybe every 2-3 months.
"To enslave men, successfully and safely, it is necessary to have their minds occupied with thoughts and aspirations short of the liberty of which they are deprived. A certain degree of attainable good must be kept before them." Frederick Douglas, "My Bondage and My Freedom," 1855
Mark Hamilton wrote:

Just got back from picking up seven kits suitable for an impromtu summer session rocket class; $33.11. The Baby Bertha's came out to $3.39 each.
They've done this for a long time and their sales have really helped me get rockets and physics into the hands and minds of many students.
Thanks, Hobby Lobby.
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est

I'm sorry, but that is dirt cheap.
Estes is competing with China in Penrose, CO.

And Estes.
Jerry
"The vision of Vern Estes was to DIFFERENTIATE rocketry from firearms and fireworks. Until the most recent spate of TRA/NAR/Quest/Estes/AT leaders, it was working too. Most states had "aeromodel" exemptions. ATF had a wide exemption. Federal Firearms regs allowed recreational use of BP. CPSC only wanted to protect children. FAA increased their exempt limits "the exact amount asked". ALL new restrictions have been added by NAR/TRA/Quest/Estes/AT." - Jerry Irvine
"Model rocketry is too diverse for the Estes catalog." - Jerry Irvine

Estes is having kits made in China.
Brian Elfert

Nope. Their kits are all made in China now like everything else that used to be made here.

Incorrect. First, we had to wait 9 years and sue them to get anything. W ASKED for the limits be raised to 125/1500g. Instead they gave us 101.22 which requires notification for these rockets instead of a waiver.
But they HAVE worked with us ever since, unlike other government agencies who think their jobs are to prevent people from having what should be legal fun.

Nope. New restrictions are straight from the BATFE, and from state and local laws.
... One nation under surveillance, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
JThe Baby Bertha's came out to $3.39 each.

If you will notice on the Baby Bertha packaging, it's made in China..
Bill
Bill wrote:

Had to check:
Estes Baby Bertha - Made in China Estes Patriot - Made in China Quest Big Betty - Made in China
There's some kind of weird irony here. The Estes black powder rocket motors are made in the USA.
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est

At a rocket launch this weekend I talked to someone who works at a hobby store. Estes makes everything in China now except motors.
Estes is planning to stop including motors in some or all starter kits as the motors have to be added here in the USA.
Brian Elfert

So where are the Estes scale model kits of Chinese launch vehicles like the Long March? Please less whining, more lemon aid.
Alan
Alan Jones wrote:

Not sure what you mean, Alan. I'm not whining, nor complaining about anything at all. I'm GLAD to have gotten these inexpensive kits, no matter where they were made.
I just see a curious twist here; the Chinese are credited with the discovery of black powder and a lot of its early application and development is from Chinese history. Today, they make rocket kits for an American company, but we make the black powder motors over here. It just strikes me as an odd result of history, that's all.
No whine intended.