In California, harrased by off duty fireman while launching

One more reason I'm glad I don't live in California. As for dealing with an idiot like that I myself would have called the cops on him the
minute he started spouting off. Since your not allowed to shoot someone for that let the local police deal with it. At worst you would probably get a warning for maybe not haveing the real land owner's permission but maybe this guy would have had his but chewed by the cops. Hard to say but we just had a 60 year old little league umpire beaten up by a players father because he evicted his kid. It's hard to say how things might get out of control if this guy wants to argue. Call the cops and tell them he threatened you, which he did.
Denis Boudreau Wellington, OH
On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 05:50:59 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

Penalty for not haveing BOTH the landowners permission AND the permission of the Fire Authority Having Jurisdiction (in the form of a permit most of the time since you cannot "prove" verbal permission - as stated in writing from the CSFM) is $1000 fine AND/OR up to 1 year in jail for each violation.
We have heard of police sitting and watching 'mom and kids' launch 2 models in a school yard in the San Fernando valley and then walking over to them and handing them the ticket for the $2000 fine.
Also got a call from a guy (never heard from again) who was going before a judge for the one year in jail for launching in Long Beach CA (at a park not far from the Long Beach airport main runway).
"Warnings" seem to be issued less and less these days. They seem to be going for the fines.
-Fred Shecter http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsassZshreadvector
That is just crazy. Obviously California cops have way too much time on thier hands. What are the basis for these fines? Terrorist regulations post 9/11? Safety due to fire concerns? I just don't understand how they can even come to a fine of $1000 for launching a model rocket. DUI drivers probably pay less in fines for thier first offense. Hearing stories like these makes California sound like a communist state where you will need papers to walk your dog around the block.
Denis
On 8 Jul 2005 06:51:54 -0700, "shreadvector"

I had to stop doing launches for the Saugus Union School District due to the increasingly strict anti-rocket policies of the LA County parks Dept. Many of the schools in the district use LA County Park land as their play and recreation area. For over 6 years beginning in 1995 I had no trouble securing permits or insurance. Then, after a change in leadership and BEFORE 9/11, the Parks Dept. abruptly stopped issuing any permits at all. The cities of Burbank and Glendale as well as Pasadena have very similar policies..so much so that any school rocketry is verboten.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

It's too bad you don't have any high-tech space-related agencies nearby, to show them the value of kids getting into model rocketry. You know, something like CalTech, or JPL, or... Ohhhhh....
David Erbas-White
Yea, I hear ya Dave. I still do high school launches and recently did one with a USAF ROTC unit from Crescenta Valley High. However, we have to go to either Lucerne or El Mirage to get a legal launch site.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow

The fact we do is hard evidence the authorities are more interested in their convenience than in citizens rights to liberty, or gag, education.
The "model rocket caucus" is a willing very short-sighted accomplice.
Jerry
False again.
The "Model Rocket Caucus" spends all its time trying to undo the damage caused by those who launch illegally and cause problems including: * crashing rockets (model and high power) into neighbors back yards resulting in calls to the bomb squad. * killing themselves via electrocution/self-immolation. * showing up at parks to do live launches on the radio and attempting to bully the parks department into allowing them to conduct their stunt therby poisoning the parks department toward model rocketry for MANY years after the stupid stunt. * trying to clearly explain the differnce between what the authorities see on television (LDRS/HPR porta-potties and spectacular CATOs and God-knows what they'll see on Master balsters) and Model Rocketry.
-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Proposes and RULES.
What RULE would YOU like to see them CHANGE?

More fully legalize them then?
Jerry
I will blame this one on my using Google to read these messages. I did not see your other message where your use of the term "model rocket caucus" was clearly (or semi-clearly) explained. I assumed you meant any model rocket groups working with authorities at any level.
The rest of what I said remains correct.
;)
-Fred Shecter

The lack of attribution and quoting prevented correcting the error in-line as well.

Perhaps it is time for the citizens to rise up and overthrow the govenmment of Kallifornia. Or failing that, emigrate to better state like Iowa.
Alan
yeaa, I'm kinda amazed how far KA has fallen. Baack in the 50/60/70 it was the "golden state" that everybody dreamed of going to. ... not anymore .........
how far the mighty has fallen....
shockie B)

shockwaveriderz wrote:

That may be true, but are governor could still kick your governor's *ss. :)
Dave Grayvis wrote:

Well I really hoped he would've done that a LOT earlier.
Can't believe I voted for Jesse AND attended the victory party :(
I guess Pabst Blue Ribbon, Jesse's favorite, can really cause brian damage.
Ted 'PBR, never again' Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 04:36:08 GMT, Dave Grayvis

A lot of people would pay to see that. ;)
I like Anold, but I don't know much about his governorship. I do like his gubernatorial smoking tent, although I don't smoke.
Iowa's Gov. can balance a budget, and even run a surplus. Iowa's Gov. is often mentioned as a qualified presidential or VP candidate.
Alan
Alan Jones wrote: ...

yeah but, where does he stand on the Rocketry Question?
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 14:17:03 -0700, Cliff Sojourner

I don't know. What was the question again?
I have met the former Iowa Gov. Robert Ray, and he was Pro model rocketry. At one point we presented him with a well built Estes Goblin and D13. I'm guessing he never flew the D13.
At times, Iowa has high risk for grass fires. The difference is that Iowa rocketeers can openly fly their rockets in relative safety, while CA rocketeers are often compelled to sneak around and fly rockets from dry gulches.
Alan
Thank the folks at UAC and othere CA universities, especially Berkeley, for raising the last several generations of liberal thinkers who then migrated into politics, after frying there brains on acid, glue and coke.
shockwaveriderz wrote:

In case you haven't noticed, it's still a pretty popular place. If you spend all your waking hours making a fortune in the tech industry, who cares about civil rights?
-- David