In California, harrased by off duty fireman while launching

The same things you do with any ID card.

Fine. Whatever gave you the idea you'd need to show it any time a cop asks for it?

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Any activities where you might have to show an ID.

How so?

Please explain how a national ID card or a national standard for IDs issued by the states would have the government watching your every move.

Why do you want to watch the every move of government employees? Why do you believe government employees shouldn't have the same freedom as their fellow citizens?

It's right where it's always been, in the Gettysburg Address. Where did you think it was?

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

To the best of my knowledge that is correct.

A national ID card or a national standard for state-issued IDs that indicate the bearer's resident/citizenship status works if such cards are required in all activities that require identification. A person that was in the country illegally would not be able to get an ID card and thus would find it very difficult to engage in any activities that require identification. See? No restriction of civil liberties to law abiding citizens at all.

That is frightening. If someone stole your finger they'd be able to charge groceries to your account.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

That gives new meaning to the term "giving somebody the finger".

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Worse, someone with a gummy bear might be able to do the same thing. See various issues of the RISKS digest over the last few years....

- Rick "How do you change your biometric password?" Dickinson

Reply to
Rick Dickinson

Hey...doesn't such technology violate the "Americans With Disabilities Act"? There are a *lot* of people in this nation who (through birth or accident) do not have hands (and therefore no fingers).

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

They have given themselves permission to expand the scope of search warrants which were already telephonic monologues.

Guess what they can do now BEFORE any serving of papers, detention, araignment or of course conviction?

Study your banking and employment records in great detail, more than you can get yourself.

Turn off your credit cards, bank cards, freeze accounts, grab your "private" safe deposit box.

Enter your home or business, interview your family, co-workers, friends, acquaintences, vendors. Grab papers and things they neither fully inventory, nor ever return. Any expenses you undertake trying to get anything returned are not compensated. The constitution specifically prohibits this. Even exculpatory items are confiscated without inventory, access, even for viewing, or return.

Oh, I don't know. Because the CONSTITUTION says so ?!?!?!?!?!?

Hell.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Toe prints? Or........ never mind.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

It's hell being a convicted felon, huh jerry?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

What does any of that have to do with a national ID card or a national standard for state-issued IDs that indicate the bearer's resident/citizenship status?

The Constitution says government employees shouldn't have the same freedom as their fellow citizens? In what article?

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

well a us citizen SHOULD have to use a passport to goto Canada and especially Mexico..

and as far as papers please, bob, the police can stop you NOW and have been able to for the past 40 years and ask you for ID....

remember the black guy down in florida that used to walk through an all white community and the police asked him for ID and he said no? well it went all the way to the Supremes and they said if a policeman asks for you to ID yourself, you goto or goto jail. That don't make it right but it negates your argument that somehow a national id will start something that isn't in the works already..

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

yeappers.....they make all newborns in the us get a social security number...soon they will take a sample of your blood for a national dna database....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

If I lost my ID, I would have no idea who I am !

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

I have news for you.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It is a "passport" drug.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I bet this guy was a hall monitor in middle school....any takers?

Reply to
Josephfromri

At least this week, it's not required to have one until you want to claim the kid as a tax deduction after their first birthday. IIRC the only thing the hospital did was file for the birth certificate. They gave us the forms for the SSN.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Experience.

Reply to
Bill Gray

Well, if they're doing that already, then a national ID card or a national standard for state-issued IDs that indicate the bearer's resident/citizenship status obviously does not affect civil rights.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll