In California, harrased by off duty fireman while launching

Bingo. THe exact tyrrany that my fathers generation fought against. How soon we forget our own history.

Neither of which I carey on me. My SSN card remains private, in a locked box, and is only shown when REQUIRED BY LAW.

I do not usually carry a wallet any more. My drivers license is kept locked in my car, and is only shown when REQUIRED BY LAW, which means during a traffic stop by a police officer.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

ROTFLMAO!

It wouldn't stop a single criminal, any more than our current laws stop all the murders currently happening. It would pose a serious restriction of civil liberties to law abiding citizens. And would be one more step towards a police state.

Refer to one of my other random .sigs: Laws need to be examined not for their benefit, but for their potential for abuse. A national ID card would be a disaster for a free society.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

It certainly does not. It has very specific provisions for amendment.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

The Constitution allows for ammendments, for change. That's all I meant.

Reply to
Gary

"The Brady Bill"...the laughable "anti-assault-weapons" legislation... ridiculous environmental legislation..."diversity" requirements in hiring....These have infringed on *my* freedoms, over the past decade, far more than the examples you mentioned.

But...I *do* agree...a national ID card is terrible!

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Okay. It's just that "our Constitution allows for evolutionary change and growth" sounds muck like the bogus "living document" argument.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Some how Bob Dole and the GOP Senate campaign committee figured out I voted in a GOP primary once, and solicited me for a $1K donation. What else are they doing with the current voter registration data? And what happens when we "improve" to NID?

JG

Reply to
jgrove24

A fine theory that doesn't work in practice. You may be eager to vote a bad congresscritter out of office but most of your fellow voters are probably not. Many citizens are quite pleased with the federal spending their representatives bring to their districts. Some of the worst offenders have the greatest support.

Lengthy tenure is much of the problem, perhaps most of the problem. Congress goes to great effort to promote incumbency. Look at the McCain-Feingold Anti-Free Speech Act.

But the curtailment of freedoms isn't limited to those that expect and demand that the central government take care of all their needs. The freedoms of those very few remaining lovers of liberty are curtailed along with them.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Steven P. McNicoll

In the US. You?

Do you mean McCain-Feingold? That was passed when the Democrats controlled the US Senate, so don't limit your disdain to Republicans.

I think you've got the parties reversed here.

How so?

Oh, I don't know about that. But I do know the Patriot Act was passed in October 2001, when the US Senate was controlled by Democrats.

You and I appear to be in agreement, as neither of us can find many examples of Republicans restricting our liberties.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

No kidding. So what?

How so?

How did this become a terrorism issue?

So, we'll mark you down as pro-terrorist.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Please explain how a national ID card or a national standard for IDs by itself poses any restriction of civil liberties to law abiding citizens.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

I get that crap from both, since I've voted in both parties primaries in hte past. it includes some of the most personally offensive mail to arrive in my mailbox. The only way I know to s top it is to take it to phe post office and fill out a form 1500. But I haven't got "a rount tuit" yet. SHould have done it during last falls deluge.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I'd REALLY like to vote a few senators and reps out of office that are from other states. NY, NJ, CA come to mind immediately...

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

As long as I don't have to ever show it to any one, I guess it doesn't I could jsut stick it in my safety depost box with my Social Security card and similar stuff.

But that wouldn't make it very useful, would it. As I said, I don't carry my DL on me, except when I'm acutally driving. There have been many times where I've been asked for it, and "just said no".

I really wish my HAM license had a photo on it...

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

So you want the police to be able to challenge your right to walk in public at any time and demand to see your papers?

They used to have a system like that in Nazi Germany.

How about requiring all residents of the country to carry an internal passport stating exactly where they are permitted to be and under which circumstances?

They used to have a system like that in the Soviet Union.

It's called totalitarianism, statism, or a lot of other -ism's. One thing it is never called: Liberty.

Bill Sullivan

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

What's stopping you? :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

What's stopping me from what?

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Add Massachusetts to that list.

"That woman took my car and used it to commit suicide... that's my story and I'm sticking to it" "And remember, vote for Teddy and vote often!"

Randy

<randyolb

Gluing Your photo to Your ham license.

Reply to