Interesting high lights of the NAR BoD Meeting and ...

Alan

Ed Miller's Alien Enterprises Monocopter 24 flies on Estes D11P or AT 24 mm motors, it retails around $25 and uses carbon fiber. Estes E9s also work but do in fact burn through the outside of the cardboard casing necissitating the business end of the motor sticking out past the motor tube so as not to burn through themotor tube. Email Ed for his catalog. Also Apogee has a book regarding the theory of monocopters which will help to understand their intricacies.

Monocopters, tricopter, bicopters, cooling fans which use horizontal rocket thrust provide their lift via aerodynamics. I've never seen a multi engine fan failure, my guess is there are issues concerning the out of balance machine soldiering on, but it's only a guess.

In the few monocopter failures I've seen the motor didn't end up very far from the rest of the wreckage as it just tumbled after rolling through the inside diameter of flight. The larger concern is the failure of the launch pin, which I've also seen, much like a rocket having launch lug failure at ignition, which is far more of a concern than the motor flying off. NO MONOCOPTER USING A G MOTOR AND HIGHER SHOULD BE LAUNCHED WITHOUT A STEEL LAUNCH PIN!! The video was posted some time ago.

As an aside, scale drag racing is now using rocket powered turbine motors, whereby the rocket boost turns a tubine blade which turns the wheels, and not using the motor thrust alone. How they control the cars is something I've not yet seen.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

His 18mm design was published on the March 2001 Sport Rocketry.

One thing I've noted in flying this a few times, is you can't use a standard length launch rod. I've had success with a 3" rod that is SECURELY anchored to the ground. Don't even consider a rocket like this on a porta pad type launcher.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Could you explain this a bit better? Is the "launch pin" the short rod, or the hole it goes through?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

I've only flown his 13mm design so far. And only three times at that. I used the recommended A10 (well, I used the plugged version) and it didn't get off the 3" wooden dowel. A 1/2A gave a nice flight off the top of a standard launch rod.

I may take the nose plug off and put an engine retainer on so that I don't eject the motor. That way I'm at least compliant with the AMA codes up to G motors.

For the 18mm and up sizes I'll take your advice and use a short pin on a sturdy stake driven into the ground. The 13mm instructions show a

3"x3/16" launch p> >
Reply to
Will Marchant

There was a follow-up in the next issue about the launch rod being shorter. A news search on 'monocopter sport rocketry' turned up the thread.

Reply to
flying weather

Bob

The launch pin itself, the short rod should be steel. On a recent effort I just drilled a 1/2" hole through the CF in the monocopter as a "launch lug" for lack of a better word and it has worked for 12 flights so far, but a wooden dowel for a launch pin on this larger mono is just asking for disaster. I have seen the results, it is ugly.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Ahem: The launch pin is the launch pin. That doesnt' help clarify thigns much.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Bob

I'm at a loss.....the Alien mono comes with a wooden dowel for a launch pin to install into the launch pad. That wooden dowel is not strong enough to handle the launch of a G motored mono, that pin should be steel. It is too short to be considered a rod, it's known as a pin to most people I have been with who launch monos.

The pin is substituted for a rail or launch rod for a monocopter flight. Ed Miller once told me when he first started he put a monocopter on a regular launch rod as he had no idea they needed a short pin to launch, it almost spun up to the top of the rod when the motor ran out of gas. While everyone else snickered he retrieved his monocopter which never left the rod, a wiser man.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Bob didn't understand what you meant by "launch pin", and you explained it this time. In the previous message, you said "The launch pin itself, the short rod should be steel." which implies that the launch pin is NOT the short rod, but rather some secondary rod that's used.

Just a misunderstanding.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Kev

Thanks, man. I knew what I meant but I guess no one else did. ;-) I guess if I want to confused myself I'll just read my own posts. :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

OK, I got it now. The launc pin is the launch rod, and soem kits have a dowel instead of a steel rod.

I would think that a full length rod would get wipped around like all h3!!

We had the same problems back inthe 70s when we launched Frisbees :-)

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Bob

Sorry man, thought you had the same kind of handle on Monos I have, but I went and ASSumed......not the first time nor the last. Don't be afraid to keep me straight. I must sound like Yogi Berra sometiems.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I have actually seen two motors (a K and a L) come out of rockets and propel themselves into the distance at a high rate of speed. They were stable until burnout (at which point I could no longer see them).

Reply to
Tweak

Sure. I've seen Estes C6-7 motors do the same. And A3-6T motors (long ago).

C.G. in front of C.P. They are end burners and the mass at the front remains there until the flame front advances forward.

The motors peeling off a multi-motored frisbee in the 1970's were quite frightening.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

The K I saw was a standard Aerotech, the L was a Hybrid.

Reply to
Tweak

Hi FW,

People fly Helicopter kites, and box kites, and contest kites at NAR launches.

do the clubs insurance cover them if that 5 foot box kite comes down right no top of my truck ?

what about a duel harness contest kite breaking my head open ?

what about, what about..

heck I might be able to get a top ten list going of what is flown at NAR launches besides rockets going here, any takers ?

Reply to
AlMax

Not all, some are boosted at near 45 degrees to verticle. you've seen them ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

Sounds like they were chicken hunters... I say, chicken seekers, that is. ; )

Randy

<randyolb

Great. Now I have "Bob Your Head" and "Cross the Road" stuck in my head.

At least it dislodged the "Beetlejuice Song".

;)

-Shread Vector NRA #1 Paramount Leader

Reply to
shreadvector

Any idea why they burn through on that design but not a 3FMC rocket ?

Reply to
AlMax