Interesting high lights of the NAR BoD Meeting and ...

snip
No problems there and I understand what you and Shockie are saying but still, how do you make (or get) people to accept the positions? If you're
really going to do the job, even if it's only with travel, there is considerable time and expense involved in being on NAR / TRA boards, especially if a member lives several states away.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
randy:
Thats why several times over the past few years I had brought up the subject that the NAR should come into the internet age and use one of the free audio/video conferencing programs, like AOL AIM, MSN Messenger,Yahoo Messenger,ICQ,Paltalk,etc.
I have used all of the above at one time or another over the past 5 years. They have all improved greatly over their initial versions as far as reliablity and capabilities.
I suggested that each TRustee denote what kind of OS and interent connection each had at home or work. Then they would simply all agree to use the same IM client. If they didn't have broadband at home then perhaps they would have it at work. Almost all new Pc's/MAcs built over the past 5 years have more than capable audio and graphic card abilities to do multimedia, and AV conferencing.
All the Trustees would have to do is settle on a common AV client, and in install and config it. I was willing to provide online tech support, something I did for 5 years for Microsoft.
Each Trustee would use either a set of headphones or their speakers to hear what everybody else was saying, while also being able to see each other LIVE. Most of these AV clients have file sharing and white board ability, so that documents could be scanned prior to any meeting and then shared with all..
If a system like this was implemented, it would take a lot of the time and travel expense issues away. It might result in even more frequent board meetings as all you have to do is pre-arrange a time to meet.
The BluesRockS NAR section has experiemented both with using our Yahoo group to hold online meetings, and Yahoo messenger to talk to one another and it can work.
Its not rocket science.....
shockie B)

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:52:23 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

They're free because no one is willing to pay for them. That should tell you something. Yes they get some money from advertising but they would still milk the users if they could.

I'm sure Mark is looking for someone to take over so he can step aside. Current VP Trip Barber certainly doesn't want Bunny to suddenly vanish. Do you have a candidate in mind who wants to be NAR president? Besides Bruce Kelly :-)

Tripoli members do not vote for the president, the board does. The check boxes on the ballot for president are simply an advisory to the board.
Members vote for directors only.
Brian Elfert
Brian,
I STAND CORRECTED! Yes we vote for BoD, and not the President directly.
Lunarlos
P.s. I read somewhere that we recieve a very "healty" return of ballots when voting does come around ... like I said, I don't have the figure in front of me ...
Brian Elfert wrote:

writes:

NAR works the same way. members elect trustees, they vote for officers. I can verify that Trip Barber was VERY pleased that Bunny was re-elected to the BOT :-)
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

FTR, why?

Because Trip is VP, and if somehow Bunny were not reelected, guess who would probably get stuck with the job...
Rumor has it that Trip has organized a detail of rocketeers to protect the president in the event of a prang or cato: he REALLY doesn't want the top job.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

I can understand that.
Say what you will about Bundick on (misguided) policy, but as an administrator he is competent and motivated.
Jerry
On 17 Aug 2005 12:12:01 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Hmmm... So Trip is expecting this BATFE thing to blow up in Bunny's face? ;)
So, who actually wants the job? Who is competent enough to be railroaded into the job? Is it too early for "Guzik for President" buttons? Is Bunny burned out or just getting warmed up?
Alan

Honestly?
Three people on the planet are willing to do it but do NOT want it.
It is a largely thankless job.
For that alone Mr. Mark Bundick largely has my respect.
I still disagree with several of his policies, some very agressively.
Jerry

Sorry, but it's a 3 year term. You'll have to wait to 2008 to "Dump Bunny" (yes, I still have my button!)

Um if you check the bylaws I think you will find that the vote in quesiton was for a seat on the Board of Trusties. The NAR membership does not get to vote for Prez, VP, treasurer or secretary. We are voting (or not) for people to sit on the board of trusties. It is the board members who then vote for the officers. I am not sure what you call this arrangement, but this is essentially how it works as far as I can tell.
--

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

This is fairly common in the corporate world and probably even more so in small clubs. It's also how many governments work.
Especially in clubs, you often don't get enough candidates with the right expertise to have more than one sufficiently well qualified person for each position. Especially things like treasurer or secretary. Gives the BoD flexibility to move people into the role they suit best.
In _most_ parliamentary systems, you vote in a party representative from your riding. At most, the only pre-ordained position is prime minister. Then, depending on how the party does these things, they apportion out what ministries will exist, and which member gets which ministerial position. Etc.
The US electoral system doesn't work that way. You vote for president, congressional and senatorial members. The heads of departments (the equivalent of our ministries) are politically appointed, usually _not_ elected.
Our government ministries then, have civil servants running the ministry, with an elected minister overseeing/responsible for it.
Your government "ministries" (departments) have political appointees running the operation with somewhat looser (or less specific) oversight from elected officials.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 21:38:07 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

Sorry but that wasn't a TRA launch.
nope but is was almost a TRA fatality... As was the rocket going off in that guys face on the Discovery Channel show....
shockie B)

I think you mean Master Blasters. Anyhow, that was not a Tripoli sanctioned launch!
Brian Elfert
Thank you Brian, I was trying to figure out when I was almost killed...
Erik gates
writes:

Erik Gates wrote:

Probably the last time you crossed your wife... 8-}
Yes, fortunately Myth Busters hasn't had any near-misses.
What happened to Bruce on Master Blasters is darned scary, and I'm thankful it wasn't worse!
-Kevin