Interesting high lights of the NAR BoD Meeting and ...

IMNSHO, the only thing "wrong" with that launch is that it was a bit too breezy for the particular rocket. Unfortunately, it's just not tolerant of much (if any) wind, I suspect. That's what caused you to be too close to the pad.

Fortunately, it's so doggone light that you're more likely to be injured by a balsa glider than your foam creation on descent!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Helps to pay attention... The show is Masters Blasters, NOT Myth Busters. ;)

Reply to
stealthboogie

I'm sure Mark is looking for someone to take over so he can step aside. Current VP Trip Barber certainly doesn't want Bunny to suddenly vanish. Do you have a candidate in mind who wants to be NAR president? Besides Bruce Kelly :-)

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

What a nut case! Maybe you will choke to death on the next styro coffee cup you drink out of.

Who the #!%@ are you anyway?

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Actually, you heard that later.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

My understanding is they couldn't get any bigger certified motors than two M1419s so they went with what they could get. I'm sure they would have loved to have bigger motors.

I don't know if Ky initially planned to go for the lowest flight.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

LOL man, I don't even know what to say, so I won't

'taint worth it

Reply to
jflis

Ummm, no. Tell me, how did you measure the distance based upon the video playback?

What "flinch"?

Those who fly rockets, instead of walking around watching things, take a chance with every launch.. When experience and reasonable consideration indicate a high probability of success, you press the button. Modrocs are much less potentially damaging than are HPR rockets. Why take the chance of flying an HPR rocket? Do you test the bond strength of every glue fillet you make? Why not? How do you know the rocket won't shred under boost? How do you know an HPR bird won't cruise missle and peg a spectator while under M motor thrust a 1,000 feet from the pad? What absolute requirements do you "mature" rocketeers over at TRA meet that eliminates "chance" in your launches?

I think you are the one who is confused; Ky's expertise is not at issue. The safety of the launch and your opinion of it is the issue. Was the launch of "Our Stinkin Rocket" a safety issue? Did the mature, professional TRA RSO "take a chance" in letting it fly at a TRA event?

No. It is long standing etiquette.

Do you have any clue whatsoever as to the differences between these two scenarios?

Oh, okay, you just answered my previous question. Not only are you an expert on modroc video interpretation, you are an expert on hypersonic vehicle breakups as well. Thanks for letting everyone know exactly what happened during the Columbia tragedy. How is it you came to know all this? Are you involved with Shuttle ops? Aerobrake re-entry analysis? Spacecraft design? Perhaps you can provide some info on your background in this. I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested in asking you more questions about the disaster.

But, one more time, what "sloppy" safety are you referring to? The "clear" minimum distance violation? Or something else? I'm trying to relate your safety concerns to an eye hazard specific to the foam cup launch/recovery and not to all other rocket launches.

Oh. Are 1/2A6-2 motors completely safe? Is that the criteria. motor impulse?

Reply to
Gary

That's a reasonable assumption. Thanks.

Reply to
Tweak

That one is easy: Frank announced his candidacy for BOD. This scared the BOD, since they thought that he could win. That would mean that one of them -- possibly Bruce himself -- would not win. Their only recourse was to remove the problem. So they presented some drummed up charges (in absentia) to the kangaroo court who convicted him on all accounts, plus a few extras for good measure. The charges were stuff like holding launches without a waiver (Frank later presented signed FAA waivers) and making motors without TRA approval.

He was only reinstated after a LOT of members complained.

Glen

Reply to
Glen Overby

Imagine what the response would be if Jerry or John or I rejoined, and then tried to run for the BOD :-)

I finally got to meet the guy who was to have been one of Frank's running mates in that election. 2 PHds in one election!

Perhaps both rocket organizations need to stock up on a supply of Viagla. It's for when you need an election.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Why are PHds good for elections ?

Reply to
AlMax

I'm all for safety at any launch. I would mention, however, the K-powered monocopter at a Tripoli Pittsburgh launch a few years back. THAT's a reckless stunt in my book.

-Larry Curcio

Reply to
Larry Curcio

Frank's suspension had nothing to do with the election. He was holding a private launch at the same time and (virtually) the same place as ROC's launch. The ROC folks considered this an interference with their launch. They also thought he didn't have a waiver. Frank was reinstated a short time after the suspension when he showed that he did indeed have a waiver, and promised not to conduct his launches at the same time as the ROC launches.

raydunakin

What are you talking about?? There are no "running mates" in TRA elections.

raydunakin

I'm curious about how the monocopters are handled at tra launches. Their safety code models the nfpa does it not?

Reply to
flying weather

Well, that's just too bad. We've had a TRA BOD member do that to us during a NARAM.

So the board suspended first, without a hearing, then investigated afterwards. Nice to know things really haven't changed that much.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

A group of people were going to run along with Frank. Any one wonder why they didn't run at all.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

They "thought" he didn't have a waiver? They didn't know this was a fact? Can you say "Burden of Proof?"

Mario

Reply to
Mario Perdue

There were quite a few running in that election IIRC around 7 candidates for 3 seats.

I originally intended to vote for him. Then it became apparent that he thought he could accomplish his adgenda by being confrontational with the other board members. I thought that would be counterproductive since he was one person and there were 8 others so I didn't vote for him. Didn't vote for Bruce Kelly either. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein