Interesting high lights of the NAR BoD Meeting and ...

This should be in the FAQ.

So he was coerced to not fly rockets on a huge dry lake even though airspace is SHARED?
TRA sucks hard. ROC sucks more. They held a big-ass launch on BLM land with VENDORS with NO BLM permit!!! Proven fact.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

you seemed to be ok with that, when you used to do it.

This should be in the FAQ.
Hey Phil,
Well I can assert that Kosdon is crazy at times ... at a Balls event, he was burning up excess AP right in the prep area ... this cloud of reagents was choking serveral people set up next and NEAR him. The guys is a VERY talented rocket scientist, and VERY eccentric! God Bless him! Andd yes, the "smackdown" was laid on him by the "gaspers" and Aero_Pac personel.
Now as for the other "big name" that I dare not mention less I get a lawyer calling me, he has EARNED his expulsion from TRA and RRS ... although I see he is active at the Mojave test range from time to time, but those people let anyone in who is will to pay :)
Lunarlos
Phil Stein wrote:

Only for safety code violations. Or for not paying their bills. Not for political reasons.
oops I left one off the list:
the NAR also initially opposed Vashon Cold Propellant motors, NAR S&T refused to certfiy them for use...
of course they eventually relented and allowed their use.
shockie B)

That's before my time as an active member. But I doubt they'd certify them today :-)
On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 23:47:37 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

I doubt that NAR S&T took the lead on that issue, but do you have a time line of significant events? YOu can't expect S&T to certify something unusual as a model rocket motor before it has be recognized as a model rocket motor with established performance and certification criteria. When was Vashon recognized as a model rocket motor by the CSPC and NFPA codes, and when did NAR S&T actually refuse to certify it?
Alan

Probably never, as the device does not work by pyrotechnics, and is not a model rocket motor by NFPA codes.
It is a freon propulsion device, just as a ballon car is operated by a propulsion device.
I doubt S&T never even had to certify it, it just could be sold, just as an airplane engine can just be sold...
well you get the picture.
actually it looks like NAR S&T did take the lead on opposing Vashon Cold Propellant motors.
Background:
Vashon Model Rockets Cold Propellant motors first appeared in February 1969 at the Chicago HIAA Trade show. Whats stranage about this is the fact that G.Harry Stine was also there and actually wrote an overview of this HIAA trade show in the 4/69 issue of Model Rocketry magazine and makes NO mention of the Vashon rockets.
Vashon Ads first appeared in the Model Rocketry mag in Jan 1970(see below why)
In January 1969 the NAR S&T commitee issued a WARNING to its members (Via the Model Rocketeer?) That the Vashon Cold Propellamt motors did not conform to the model rocket definitions in FAA FAR 101.1, a.3.ii(a) through (d) in that the Vashon Cold propellant motors consisted of substantial metal parts (the aluminum body). This from the 5/70 issue of Model Rocketry mag page 41 where the NAR S&T announces that they are now NAR safety certified and also announce notice of the Cold Propellant Safety Code. Seems Vashon got the FAA permission in Jan 70.
This same warning was re-issued and printed in the 5/69 Issue of Model Rocketry mag on page 10.
whats interesting is, in this warning, the NAR S&T states they are not certified per Safety Code rule 2 and the 1967 edition of the US Model Rocket Sporting Code rule 3.6 , aka the "Pink Book". Its states, "This is because the Valkyrie uses an aluminum tube for a Body"
Then it goes on to tell NAR members that they will be in violation of the NAR Safety Code and your NAR membrship will be revoked" if you get caught using these puppies. Have we heard that before? somewhere?
shockie B)

Actually, you heard that later.
I can think of one small organization who has had the same leader since it was founded. And when asked if any member would like to run to be eleted to the post, no one asks to run.
And it's been around in the background since 1971.
www.starlords.org

Telescope Buyers FAQ

Sort of true. Prior to the safety study that expanded model rockets from 453g to 1500g NFPA and other regs limited the hobby to F motors. But in the mid 80s, the NAR did the study to look into expanding the hobby beyong the original boundaries. Once the study was done, and the results showed no increased risk, LMR and G motors were accepted by NFPA and the NAR. NAR had certified G motors when TRA was still getting organized.

Absolutely not true. AT demoed an RMS motor at NARAM in 1990 when they first came out. This may even have been prior to the LDRS demos. By the next year, when RMS motors were actually certified, they were flown at NARAM-33. NAR never had the special RMS certification process TRA did. You could fly RMS up to whatever level you were certified for from day 1.

See #1 above.

OK, NAR screwed the pooch on this from the early 80s until 1990. In 1987 they finally allowed members to do HPR outside of NAR events. But by 1991 NAR had adopted HPR and has endorsed it ever since.
4 out of 5 is 80%..not too shabby....thanks for the truth....wouldn't want to 'distort' an facts..... got the cpsc mixed up with the nar..my bad....
shockie B)
writes:

There were only 4 items on your list. How do you get 80% out of that. ANd I'd call NAR "guilty" on 1.5 of the 4 counts.
bob: stop splitting hairs..3 out 4 then....75%... the Vashon thing was before Bunny's tenure....
shockie B)
writes:

Bob Kaplow wrote:

This is one of my biggest complaints with NAR -- they move at a speed slower than molasses on a January day in the Arctic!
Case in point? Cross-certification of motors with CAR. This is something that could EASILY have been handled via email/phone calls, but they had to exhibit analysis paralysis and wait until meeting face-to-face at NARAM.
Knee-jerk rash decisions are bad, but so is taking forever to make a decision. There IS a happy middle ground.
-Kevin

either
Ok, I might agree a little in principle but the problem is obvious. How do you MAKE, people get involved in a volunteer position ( little or no pay and requires tireless effort for the long term) that gets blasted from all sides, regardless of what they do? And it's not just rocketry, it's anything you can name, Little League, church board, PTA, Scouts, etc. Everyone wants to have the best for little or no cost or obligation but FEW will accept the position, even if they are elected. That is the real problem.
Mark can stand or fall on his own merits but there's no doubting his devotion and tireless efforts.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
One thing I did notice while I was a NAR member (it's been a couple years), is when an election came up there were x openings and x people running. So there was no reason to vote. If no members other than those running voted, the results would be the same as if every member voted.
While I'm not currently a NAR member, in theory, it might be time for there to be some actual competition for BOT positions. And more so, some challenge to the NAR Pres. position.
If I compare NAR to TRA (during the same timeframe), during the time I've been with TRA, their pres has changed 3 times - each for the better, IMHO.
NAR needs new blood at the top - many in this thread have stated the reasons I share.
I was a member of both TRA and NAR for years, and due to my job situation, found that I could only retain 1 of the 2 memberships. Though TRA cost more, I went with that, as I felt they were evolving to meet what I expected, while NAR was just running the same as they had for years, and years, and years

do
and
anything
wants