Interesting high lights of the NAR BoD Meeting and ...

snipped-for-privacy@alum.mit.edu says...

The K I saw was a standard Aerotech, the L was a Hybrid.
--
Tweak

Sounds like they were chicken hunters... I say, chicken seekers, that is. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
Great. Now I have "Bob Your Head" and "Cross the Road" stuck in my head.
At least it dislodged the "Beetlejuice Song".
;)
-Shread Vector NRA #1 Paramount Leader
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 09:28:51 -0400, Tweak

I think monocopters are inherently more dangerous than 3FNC rockets. I think HPR monocopters should have names like "Grim Reaper". Because of the higher energies involved, some things that can be done with MR should not be replicated in HPR.
If HPR motors are actually coming out of their rockets, the safety code should be changed to require a safety cable be attached to the motor. Some race cars mandate safety cables to keep wheels from flying into the crowds after crashes.
Alan
Alan Jones wrote:

Funny how the folks who don't actually DO high power rocketry are always the ones who think they know best how it should be done.
OMG ... BINGO!
Ray, you are correct. Hey Alan, that $750,000.00 that was burned to the ground because an A8-3 powered rocket landed on its roof and caught the house on fire ... what if someone had been home sleeping ... they would be DEAD today. I fear the little scamp 12 year old who gets a rocket set, and then stuffs fire crackers down the tube then launches ... never mind ... lets not give NAR another competition event ... LOL.
Alan, I think you can google the news article about that home in Lafyett, CA that was burned to the groud 2000/2001 IIRC. At least with TRA, we don't lauch in neihborhoods, back yards, school fields, city parks, ect.. It takes hours, sometimes DAYS to drive to a TRA event out where NO private property can be damaged. On the other hand, NAR type activities are CONSTANTLY burning up fiels, back yards, homes, ect..
TRA is VERY responcible to the flyier, the public, and to the government. Personally, I wish that NAR was NOT part of the legal issues with the government; as I feel that more negative press and occurances have occured with low power/toy rocketry, than high power/amature. Think about it, the most we (TRA) can destroy at a lauch are: cars, launch pads, and ourselves. NAR activities HAVE destroyed houses, fields, etc. and could potentially KILL due to the activity being right inside public areas.
If TRA was FREE of NAR, we could then broker deals with the military (NAR people tend not to be pro military, based on numerous postings I have read here) and other government agencies. We could also be more involved in R&D and colleges ... face it, a PhD will learn more with a Mach 2 bird at 40,000 feet then that alpha at 200mph at 300 feet! TRA could sell itself in the same way the NRA does ... no not NAR spelled wrong, I am talking about the National Rifle Association (I'm a member). NAR would be free to go back to A, B, C, and D, and we could carry the torch forward from there.
Interesting concept. I don't donate to the legal fund, because it is indirectly supporting NAR, and I don't want a PENNY of my money going to them in any fashion ... thats just me :)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Who the h3!! is this lunarlos idiot?

Interesting. NAR has been dealing with the military since it's beginning. IIRC DOD is even on board as a sponsor of TARC.
NAR VP Trip Barber recently retired from the Navy as a Captain. He commanded 2 tours on a destroyer in the Persian gulf. He was the commander of the largest military base in the world. He was on duty in the Pentagon on 9/11. He still works there, in the same job, but now as a civilian.
Joyce Guzik, just elected to the NAR BOD, works at Los Alamos, doing you-know-what.
There have been plenty of other military and ex-military folks in the NAR.

Thank you very much for your narrow mindedness. I've donated several times, even though my donations also help jerks like you.
On 20 Aug 2005 23:42:57 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@juno.com"
You and the TRA are free to broker deals with the military, whatever that means. The NAR is not stoping you.

That opinion is not supported by the facts.

Please do make TRA more involved in R&D and colleges. This might even prompt me to join the TRA in support. Please point me to the R&D reports that the TRA and its members have done so far.

When was the last time you or any TRA member flew a HPR at Mach 2 at 40,000 feet? The NRA must be so proud to have member like you.

Model rocketry is A-G, and the NAR has never abandoned MR, they've always been there. TRA did take the lead in HPR, and the NAR followed. The NAR cooperates with the TRA and does not prevent them form torch carrying. The NAR has not followed the torch wielding TRA into EX, but has not prevented TRA from practicing EX.

Yak, that's you.
Alan, L0

Maybe, but based on observations of their skills so far perhaps we should encourage them to simply refrain.

Which might be a "bad thing-tm".
Maybe the treaty should be amended to allow a phone call, "hey you're doing something stupid."
Jerry
snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote: I don't donate to the legal fund, because it is

This is what is known as "cutting of your nose to spite your face". Refusing to help protect high power rocketry simply because NAR might benefit in some way from that effort is just plain stupid.

Excellent point!
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Another good point, is that it works both ways. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Good grief! Now we've got Ray and Bob agreeing on something.
Who is this lunarlos bozo anyway?
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Maybe this is all just a really clever way to achieve unity. ;)
#

I've seen the same thing more than once due to fireworks landing on a house with lots of straw on the roof.

Get real. There very few TRA launches where there is absolutely no possibility of damage. All the people I know flying hpr do it from sod farms or the like and there are always buildings on site or neighbors homes close by.
>Think about it, the most we (TRA) can destroy at a

see above

We're not reading the same rmr.
BTW, do you really believe there's more danger from an Estes Alpha III, than a scratch built 6", 40 pound M motor rocket? COME ON!
There is no reason why 1/2 A - X motors can't be safe and flown at the same launches. There is also no reason to try to drive wedges between groups that should be working together for the benefit of all rocketeers everywhere.
Our club flies everything from mini motors through M and does EX to boot. Everyone in the club is working to promote the ENTIRE hobby and I have never seen or heard the animosity between flyers there, that I read here, i.e. TRA vs. NAR. I suspect the reality is that the vast majority of flyers want to do just that, fly, not point fingers or bash each other.
There are so many caustic statements on rmr about NAR this or TRA that and ALL of it is counter productive to what everyone here says they want. We're on the same team and many people here need to realize it.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

Point.

Ray and Jerry agree on somthing?!?!?!?!

Shit happens!
Alan Jones wrote:

What has gone wrong with your monocopters? Were they construction problems or motor problems? Launch pad problems or centrifugal force problems?
Monocopters don't scare me, all I've ever seen have been given reasonable safety distances, a lightweight I motored 3fnc in which the LCO announces "does anyone have an eyeball on that rocket? ........anyone?" Now that scares me. That's the big danger to everyone. THAT is way more dangerous.
Chuck
snipped-for-privacy@verizonnospamdot.net says...

I'll weigh in on Chuck's side in this one. The "needles" scare me. Minimum diameter bullets that flat haul ass, disappear, then...the wait. Where did it go? Did it deploy? Should I crawl under the truck? Is my daughter about to sprout a rocket from her head?
--
Tweak