MDRA and flyer certifications

that I or my wife attains should NOT be taken away the first month that I let our membership lapse. That is something that, IMHO, is crazy.

I was not aware of that. It IS crazy. I agree (& thought) that once you were certified L1 or L3 etc., you were for life. With NAR, if you go away the hobby & come back years or decades later, you can still have your NAR # from before.....seems like you should still be certified at the same level you attained before. Sorry if I missed this the crux of your arguement. -- Richard "wrong twice in a 24 hour period!!" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

Just for the record I agree with that and respect Fred.

I do not disagree with his data, only his policies.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

David Weinshenker wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

I don't think there was an orchestrated campaign, it was just politicians deciding people should be protected from their own stupidity.

They're still legal in lots of states. I think a lot of the Southeast, in particular.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Ferrell Wheeler) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I've got this image of a "feral wheeler"...

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

It's not a catch-22 if you are willing/able to join NAR/TRA. Then you just fly 1 commercial motor to get your cert, then fly all EX if you want.

Reply to
David

No, most states don't go to anywhere near the trouble that CA does to regulate everything.

Reply to
David

You mean anyone can do pyrotechnics in other states, without a license? Or do you mean that no one can do pyrotechnics in other states, not even professionals?

Rocketry activities outside of the NFPA rocketry codes usually are governed by pyrotechnic regulations.

Sounds like the same thing that is being accomplished with NFPA and the model/high power rocketry codes.

Yes, plus anyone from out of state would have to be certified to fly in that state. So regional and national launches would be negatively affected.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Ray:

I happen to know for sure that the NAR, through their NFPA Rep has had discussions with the NFPA about such a code...... These discussions may go nowhere and even if they do, it could be years away but.........

this is not FUD this is real

Would not this be the ultimate irony? I mean think about it.....the NAR was born out of the ashes of AR being demonized back in the late 50's and early

60's.......(although I do think this demonization was partially correct and necessary as people were using BP,and blowing and maining themseleves,etc....APCP is a much safer material to work with these days)....now flash forward to a new century and now that very same organization is gonna write the rules and regulations under which AR may be performed......

This is why we need a true real ARSA....incorporated as a nonprofit, a bylaws, directly elected officers and trustees,dues paying members, a seat on the NFPA Pyro-AAA committee,etc....Its sole purpose would be to lobby for favorable AR/EX laws on the state and federal levels and perhaps to provide insurance to its members and flying fields and provide certifcation levels for those that make their own motors.....no more or less.....

How much you want to bet that one of the rules will be that you cannot make your own motors in any residential zoned area?

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Regaining your old membership number and retaining your certification are two different things -- and neither of them are in force when you are no longer a member.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Generally everyone except Californians.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

NOT FUD

Thefollowinglegaldefinitionsofrocketryexistfederallyandin 49states:

  1. Model Rocketry
  2. High Power Rocketry
  3. DoD
  4. Amateur rocketry

Which catagory does TRA-EX fall under?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Not most. All.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

They don't need to be. The rule is ARBITRARY.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes, it does make sense that ARSA, or some other amateur rocketry group, would try to do those things in order to promote amateur rocketry. In fact it makes a lot more sense then their attacks on NAR/TRA.

Unfortunately, ARSA is a one-man show run by a guy who's almost as inflexible as Iz when it comes to working for favorable regulations. At some point you have to be willing to make at least some compromises. Simply ranting about "rights" and "making a stand" etc is rarely if ever effective when dealing with regulatory folks.

Not to mention that being incorporated, having elected officials would mean stepping down from the throne and allowing others to have some control.

And of course, we all know what Iz thinks of membership dues.

Reply to
RayDunakin