[OT-mostly] Suggestions for a new laptop?

That's true - unless you don't buy decent hardware.

Time to duck.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I just hate all that extraneous crap they put on there! Of course, it's rare that I have to deal with it...

I'm much the same. Four computers in the house; only one has a brand label on it -- kinda hard to build your own laptop! 8-}

In my immediate family, there is exactly one off the shelf job, and that's my oldest brother. He's 10 hours away, in a small town, so I very much suggested a "name brand" so he could get support in case he has problems. My parents and my other brother, I do much of the support.

I also find myself periodically rebuilding my system software-wise, due to adding and removing too much stuff over the course of time.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I'm a hard core HP/Compaq fan. If "brand new is not important, drop me a private note and I'll steer you to their commercial demo equipment sales. I picked up an NC4000 that wads six months old for $1100. It had a P4 1.4GHZ.

10" Display External CD, Bluetooth, and 802.11B. No software, but nice little 3# screamer.
Reply to
Al Gloer