OT: Thankful

I haven't been keeping up with all the posts over the last week, so I apologize if I have missed a post that was directed at/to me. Now there are so many backlogged, I will have to just start where it is now.

I am thankful to still be a daddy of a beautiful little 2 &1/2 week old girl. Monday night found us in the hospital. The little one has not yet learned how to feed from Momma. She got dehydrated (severe) and became lethargic, slept almost 24 hours a day, and came very close to returning from when she had so recently come.

Just over 2 weeks ago, my little one came to us in the form of a healthy 9 lbs. 10 oz baby girl. By the 21st she was at just above 7 lbs. She looked like a little old lady as her body was shrinking inside her newborn skin.

I am afraid of very little in this life, but there were times in the last few days that leveled me to a sobbing plea to heaven above. My heart is full, and I am thankful, as she was released, and we took her home again late Christmas Eve. It was some miracle to me indeed to see her regain 1.25 lbs in only two days.

May this season find all of you, and yours, well and happy. I have come to realize how much my family means to me. I may or may not be keeping up with the three to four hundred posts here every day, but I will be "here" from time to time.

Merry Christmas, everyone ~ !

~ Duane Phillips.

duane dot phillips at aharrt dot org

Reply to
Duane Phillips

I'm glad everything was ok

I know how it feels, being a father of three. I "assisted" in all three births (we used midwives, but in a hospital).

my first had severe jaundice, and needed to be kept under special lamps for awhile

my second child was twisted the wrong way and had the cord wrapped around his neck twice.

for my little girl, my wife has had enough and decided to have the baby in record time. An attending nurse left the room for 5 minutes and by the time she came back my little princess was here

I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out

I know I was a real PITA to visitors, making them wash their hands, close the safety gate at the stairs, etc.

now their 10, 12 and 13 and we haev a whole new set of concerns, them being pre-adolescents (and one teen).

congratulations! and may God protect your beautiful family, grant you health and happiness in the years to come

- iz

Duane Phillips wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

There is nothing in life so precious.

Reply to
Putting on the chill

Congratulations Duane. For the rest of your life you will simultaneously wonder what you did with all of your free time before you had your little girl, and how you could have ever lived without her. She will have the special gifts of being able to give you the most wonderful unconditional love, generate the most pride, and the most irritation. You'll love every minute of it, even if some of those minutes are only enjoyed retrospectively ;-)

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

Sounds like you've got a fighter there, kids are a blast In just a couple weeks she'll ask for the car keys. Enjoy every minute. :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

I hear ya. Spent a bunch of hours with the wife in labor, only to have one of those nifty meters start beeping wildly. You go from a nurse and attendant to about 30 people in your room. What seemed like 20 seconds later (probably 10 minutes) Doc said 'let's go' and everyone was gone including the wife. Got to watch an emergency Csection to get the head unstuck. Wife was groaning evertime they did something (I felt like the football announcer "oohh, that's gotta hurt"). IVs hanging off a newborn is not pretty site. Somehow I managed to mostly hold it together. Sometime during the next 3 days of visiting a newborn in the ICU and a wife with an

8" slice across her guts, I was asked to clear the hall. They had to bring a stillborn to the scale for 'birthweight'. Lost it at that point...

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Duane, I'm very happy to hear that your little girl has recovered and is doing well! That's gotta be the best Christmas present you could get. Merry Christmas!

Reply to
RayDunakin

Yeah, just wait until you have 5 of them! ; )

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Family.....thats what this time of the year is about :-)

Reply to
DM

I stopped at 3........the cost of college was most of the reason! :-) Two of them are through, but the little fella wants to go to Princeton......at least it will be a short commute to visit him.

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

May God Bless your Baby Girl Duane,

/ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

That's what every second of every day is about. Work, the comute evry thing puts the family in my mind.

John Hornsby

Reply to
a.hornsbyiii

I understand that. I've got 3 through college with 2 to go. We've done most of it through academic scholarships, lots of hard work and sacrifice and some military service, but it's all paid for.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

You again. No wonder chicken costs so much...

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Glad to hear she is doing good!

Nothing like becoming a parent, and realizing how fragile a little person can be. I know, my second son got RSV (something I never heard of until he got it) at 2 months of age and spent a week in the hospital hooked up to all kinds of wires and tubes. It was more than I could take.

But, he is perfectly fine now, and a very active 1 year old.

This sort of stuff puts a real perspective on things....like hobbys, and makes you realize your priorities.

-Rich

Duane Phillips wrote:

Reply to
Rich Pitzeruse