Popular Science article

Well, just to be evenhanded, I hope they lead with a picture of a hot-air balloon hung up in powerlines and on fire the next time they do a feature story on ballooning.
FredB wrote:

They might, if at the ballooning event one of them catches fire and goes up in flames. As the guy who pressed the button on the rocket blowing up in the lead photo, I can assure you - that CATO shown happened at the event being written about. Sure, they removed the launch pad from the photo, but still, rockets (including that one) were blowing up that catastrophically at that event.
...Rick

Why?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Maybe they were using usr brand destructive devices.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Since you're not a motor manufacturer, I can see why you might have trouble understanding such things. Maybe you should ask one of the folks who are active in EX to explain to you why EX motors sometimes cato.

On 10 Jul 2005 17:46:02 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

He might ask himself why he modified the original message.
so ray, would you say that the majority of cato's in HPR are HPR TRA EX ? versus commercial HPR ? Does TRA keep any types of reports like the NAR MESS form on EX cato's ?
IF there is an over-abundance of EX cato's that tells me alot of people aren't doing something correctly. How big is the TRA EX market anyway?
shockie B)
wrote:

Since you're not a motor manufacturer, I can see why you might have trouble understanding such things. Maybe you should ask one of the folks who are active in EX to explain to you why EX motors sometimes cato.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:39:49 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"
Much bigger than the weenie market.
shockwaveriderz wrote:

EX means EXperimental. If we all knew, right off the bat, how to "do it correctly", then there wouldn't be much EXperimentation going on.
EXers are, for the most part, people who are seeking via systematic experimentation to make advancements in their technical knowledge to overcome technical uncertainties.
Even with a CATO in EX, we walk away having learned something, whether it's about the motor design, the nozzle design, the nozzle or casing manufacture, the propellant mixing and casting, etc.
And isn't that what EXperimentation is about - to form a hypothesis and then test it, and to learn something from the test regardless of whether we end up validating or rejecting the hypothesis?
...Rick
shockwaveriderz wrote:

As I stated in the previous post, EX stands for "experimental" and all that that implies.

What difference does it make? Any worthwhile activity is worth doing regardless of "market size".

Nar doesn't even have more then 4 mess forms filed. no one bothers anynmore.

I repeat. Why?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

jerry, Are you so stupid that you don't even know why rocket motors fail?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Of course you repeat the question, poor thing. The answer is beyond your ability to comprehend. Try to find a real motor manufacturer to explain it to you in small words. Ask for pictures, if necessary.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I've got some pictures that should explain it to jerry. I'll post them.

For those rockets specifically in the Popular Science article, what were the Cato causes?
It woud be helpful to have that on the record.
Obviously Ray can shed no light. Anybody else?

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Most likely, they were using reloads from jerry.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

They were EX motors. You'd have to ask the folks who made them.

Because $hit happens. Do you know why every USR motor that ever CATOed did so?
Also,one cannot judge how catastrophic the CATO was from a heavily retouched photo. You seem to be judging everything from one event where you can't even determine the scale of anything because the surrounding area was edited out of the photo.

I do think so.

I am asking the folks who were there. Maybe you were not. Perhaps you could manage to be quiet long enough to see if someone who was there has anything "technical" to report.