Popular Science article

jerry, Are you so stupid that you don't even know why rocket motors fail?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

all I am saying is the article seems to "highlight" catos, otherwise know as explosions. Its accentuating the bad or negative aspects of the hobbysport. I can't see how highlighting explosions helps HPR or TRA EX or AR or MR....

Yeah I know, catos aren't "technically explosions, or at least most aren't" but to the casual bystander what they see and hear is an explosion.

So this casual observer than associates "explosions" with all forms of rocketry as cato's happen the entire spectrum of rocketry from micro maxx to M and beyond. And it seems prevalent in EX more so than Commercial.

That article would have been much better if some of this was pointed out or explained.

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

In fairness to those who were quoted, their comments may have been taken out of context. Even _in_ context, an innocent bit of humor that would never been taken seriously when heard, can come across very differently in print.

But overall, I agree that we all must do our best to watch what we say to the media. "Anything you say may be used against you" applies to the media even more than to the police. At least the police have to prove guilt in court, whereas there is no such restriction on the media.

Reply to
raydunakin

Most, perhaps all, of the catoes reported in the PopSci article were of EX motors, not commercial motors. EX motors are, as the name implies, experimental.

=86

Reply to
raydunakin

As I stated in the previous post, EX stands for "experimental" and all that that implies.

What difference does it make? Any worthwhile activity is worth doing regardless of "market size".

raydunakin

I'm sure you and Bob K. have a hard time with that concept, but it is possible for most adults to disagree and still settle on a solution.

=86

Reply to
raydunakin

Of course you repeat the question, poor thing. The answer is beyond your ability to comprehend. Try to find a real motor manufacturer to explain it to you in small words. Ask for pictures, if necessary.

raydunakin

I've got some pictures that should explain it to jerry. I'll post them.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

For those rockets specifically in the Popular Science article, what were the Cato causes?

It woud be helpful to have that on the record.

Obviously Ray can shed no light. Anybody else?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Look who's talking!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Especially since according to Ray Dunakin, "they are mostly EX".

This points out the need to have a HARD LINE betweeen pre-approved consumer rocketry and amateur rocketry (TRA munges it to a term "EX").

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Just what would you have NAR or TRA do to members who talk to the press and mention things like Land Sharks ?

Just curious ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

Nar doesn't even have more then 4 mess forms filed. no one bothers anynmore.

Reply to
AlMax

Have you filled out one of the four NAR mess forms for your CATOS with Estes motors this year ?

Reply to
AlMax

I turn on NASCAR when I can't sleep.

Reply to
Tweak

Most likely, they were using reloads from jerry.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

duh, jerry, that's why your motors and propellant are not allowed at EX launches.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

IMPEACH THEM! :)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Because $hit happens. Do you know why every USR motor that ever CATOed did so?

Also,one cannot judge how catastrophic the CATO was from a heavily retouched photo. You seem to be judging everything from one event where you can't even determine the scale of anything because the surrounding area was edited out of the photo.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein