Popular Science article

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:08:40 GMT, "Roy Green"

That is what they have said. I'm not going to ask them why. You know what will probably happenn if someone asks them why.

Sad but true.
Still I'd like to have evidence that that is what they have said.
Roy nar12605
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 03:39:49 GMT, "Roy Green"

Check the Orange book? IIRC it's in there.
shockwaveriderz wrote:

No, they don't.

shockwaveriderz wrote:

The NFPA codes may be intended to "discourage" amateur rocketry, but they do not prohibit it and I hope they never do.

That's what the "NAR weenies" used to say about high power, and some are still saying it.

Right, just like we "used" high power to recruit new members when NAR was turning them away by the droves.
Look, it's really very simple... If you don't like high power, don't do high power. But don't try to screw with those who do want do high power. If you don't like EX, don't do EX. But don't try to screw with those who want to do EX.
NAR finally learned that lesson, it's a shame that some of its members still haven't learned.

Or, where is the science?
Fair question?
Jerry

FredB wrote:

I didn't think it was all that bad. Yeah, the emphasis on screwups sucked, but it also showed that despite the catoes and lawndarts, it's a pretty safe hobby. And the hobbyists involved came across mostly as knowledgeable "tech-heads" pushing the envelope, rather than just a bunch of yahoos blowning stuff up.
As I mentioned before, most of the cringe-inducing comments came from rocketeers, which is why we must always be very careful about what we say to the media.

On 8-Jul-2005, snipped-for-privacy@cune.org wrote:

I hadn't seen this... and I must say it sucks. No mention of TRA or NAR, only one mention of safety. Many allusion to rocketeers as dangerous folks (loaded language such as "co-conspiritor" abounds). And the assertion that catos are desired in somebody else's rocket is absurd.
With publicity like this, it won't take the BATFE to close this hobby down.
Kevin O
I correct myself... NAR & Tripoli are mentioned once, in the context of litigation with the BATFE.
KO
snipped-for-privacy@cune.org writes:

I finally grabbed a pallet-load of these :-)
IMHO this is a REALLY BAD ARTICLE for our hobby. Might as well flush thousands of dollars we've pumped into the legal fund and save rocketry now when we get press like this. We'd be far better served if we took some of those funds and spent them to hire a PR person to make sure that articles look like the Wall Street Journal article instead of this hatchet job.
... One nation under surveillance, divisive, with liberty and justice for none.
snipped-for-privacy@cune.org wrote:

I read the article...
Like it or not, people, this is how the outside sees us, and largely it is as we portray it to be.
I'd say this guy had a 100% accurate description of the hobby as we show it to the outside world, but I don't think it's as bad as some of you are making it out to be. Actually, I think it's good to be honest about it. This is good press.
Friends of mine who go to launches or watch my rocket videos are bored silly with the rockets that work right... That's just like watching a NASCAR race where every car makes it around without incident for 500 miles.
There are only a limited number of people who can enjoy flawless rocket flights endlessly without getting bored - and we are these people. To others, rockets that 'work' are just more of the same.
You want to see something that is potentially 'bad' for rocketry? Just wait.... It's coming.............;)
Todd
snipped-for-privacy@gtlakes.com wrote:

BS
snipped-for-privacy@gtlakes.com writes:

"People just go to those to see the cockroaches crash"

Even NASA has this problem. No one cares about the shuttle until something goes wrong. Then every eye is on them.

WHAT does this mean?
We need to ensure that actions by our government uphold the principles of a democratic society, accountable government and international law, and that all decisions are taken in a manner consistent with the Constitution.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Master Blasters?
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est
Bob Kaplow wrote:
<whoops, edited for brevity>

Master Blasters?
http://www.realitytvlinks.com/articles/cc040705.html
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est
yeppers.....
shockie B-(

snipped-for-privacy@gtlakes.com wrote:

People don't go to the race to see the crashes, they go to see competitive racing. How do you know it's competitive? Drivers push it to the limit, sometimes go beyond it and crash. No crashes means no one is really racing all that hard.
If rocketeers only used designs and techniques they have always used in the past; if no one ever tried to make anything bigger or better; most flights would be error free, but not as much fun.
Curtis

I turn on NASCAR when I can't sleep.
--
Tweak

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:25:13 -0500, Curtis Reynolds

I hate watching NASCAR. However, most of NASCAR is not about winning an individual race, but winning a national championship. Points are awarded is such a way that a crash or DNF is devastating and cam not be made up with just a few wins. The incentive is to finish safely in every race, and to cheat at least as much as the other team.

I agree. Even NAR competition gets old and boring if do not have at least one new design to try at each contest.
Alan

On 8 Jul 2005 19:13:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@cune.org wrote:

That photo is edited. The original had a launch tower behind the rocket and some other stuff.
Interesting - at least to me.