Re: Oops.

How about the many times it could have read,

"Kite hit by small plane"

Reply to
almax

Or perhaps

Bird killed in hit and run? Locals were outraged when chirpy was hit by Fred Phlyer who rather than stop and render assistance left the scene of the accident.

Reply to
Al Gloer

Because they have moronic media in Canada, too...

hobby-style

Reply to
Gene

2700 ft was likely a MSL altitude. If the plane were at typical pattern altitude in the vicinity of an airport, it would be at 800-1000 ft. AGL. The pilot likely saw tracking smoke, and not real thrust.
Reply to
JIM

No,you cannot shirk your responsibility in a matter by saying it was someone elses fault - why weren't you double checking Mr Elses work? No you can't sidestep the issue by saying he's in another department on the second shift, we are a team here and we must play as a team, he may have made an honest mistake but you not catching it and correcting it was deliberate! And don't try to refute Mr Hand's information, he is a highly repected member of the company, in fact I was just telling his Dad that at the country club last week!

I was once fired from my job on third hand report despite having a dozen first hand witnesses who contradicted the report - I have a much better job now.

Dale Greene

Reply to
Dale Greene

Ray couldn't be more correct. At METRA's field in upstate NY, we "share" the space with a multitude of private training planes, helicopters and stunt flyers. On several occasions, we got an impromptu stunt show - one was about

25 minutes long.

We're in airspace that includes active traffic to and from JFK, LaGuardia, Newark and Logan in addition to being a few miles from a private airport. The FAA was pretty gracious to give us 12,500 AGL. They also fully informed us when we originally filed.

Couple of months ago, we were put on a 1:45 hold for Sunday afternoon commerical traffic (we had several holds that wound up chaining together). IIRC, it was for 33 commerical flights in the vicinity.

Reply to
Gene

Never having been involved in FAA waivers, or NOTAM's, I have a question. When the waivered launch is put on hold like that, are low flying models (less than a pound, G and below) still allowed to be flown, or is the whole launch on hold?

David

Reply to
Dlogan

So then you'd want your facts as statistics.

Reply to
Alan Jones

A UFO? Was it cigar shaped?

Reply to
Alan Jones

Then there are morons that think that ALL media is comprised of morons. The real number couldn't be more that 80%.

The morons you see on TV are usually just actors reading a teleprompter.

Reply to
Phil Stein

No, I prefer raw data. I have a background in statistics and probability. I know that summarized data lies. Just give me the raw data and I'll draw my own conclusions thank you! Who, What, When, Where, and Why.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Remember tha "under power" to an untrained observer really means "still smoking".

Bob Kaplow

There's a Far Side cartoon like that. Bird News, reporting the death of "Meeker"...

Bob Kaplow

Is there some other kind?

Bob Kaplow

As I said, catch me in person for the full story.

I've had 2 jobs that sucked where my supervisor would stab me in the back. In both cases they moved on, and their replacement made the job great again. I also had one that sucked, and the supervisor and coworkers repeatedly screwed me. Quit to go elsewhere as fast as I could.

Bob Kaplow

The rule is always "only fly what is safe". If you've got traffic at altitude, like jets at 37K where all you see is a contrail, I'd still fly an HPR bird under a 10K waiver. For lower flying traffic, say the same jet at

4K, I'd hold the HPR, but still fly an Alpha on an A8-3. FOr really low traffic, everything waits.

At our old field there was one other thing we had to hold for. There was a horse trail right through the field. Even an A8-3 could startle a horse enough to throw the rider. Our own rule was no launches when horses were in sight.

Bob Kaplow

That thought crossed my mind, too. Could the blurred streak of a red/orange rocket have registered in the brain as "under power" ?

Having burned a few motors on the ground - all BP - there's still a small flame during the coast phase. On the ground it's small, but moving thru the air, that flame might get stretched out by the air flow around the rocket. I wonder if that could make it appear as being "under power" ?

So I agree, maybe it wasn't really under power at 2700 feet, but in the blink of an eye, it just appeared that way to the pilot.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

I've been interviewed a number of times by TV 'reporters' who couldn't report their way out of a paper bag -- so it's not just the anchors in the studio who are that way. I will state, also, that there are some (but they are few) who actually DO have journalistic integrity, and who DO know how to report a story.

I'll also add that the worst time I ever got sandbagged by a reporter was one who I thought was just an airhead type, who turned out to really know how to conduct an interview, and had done a lot of research into the subject (both before and after my interview). I walked away from the interview thinking that I had been raked over the coals, and that I would look like an idiot during the broadcast. It turned out rather well, actually, because that was her method of getting a more 'real' response from interviewees; and because she did her homework, I have to admit that her spot was actually quite fair and balanced. That particular incident cured my of the stereotyping .

David Erbas-White

Phil Ste>Then there are morons that think that ALL media is comprised of

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Almost 100% of the TV 'reporters' fall into that 80% that are morons. What's funny is that no one in their right mind respects them & yet they think they're hot stuff.

My wife is a newspaper reporter & busts her ass to get the story correct & impartial.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Michael Mackay-Blair