Re: OT: Cooper's hawk!

I had a very cool encounter today with a young Cooper's hawk. While driving on

> a busy road not far from home, I noticed an object on the sidewalk. Just as I > was passing I realized it was a hawk, just sitting on the pavement right next > to traffic! Obviously something was not right so I pulled over and ran back to > where he was. Turned out it was a young hawk, near-adult but still unable to > fly. Sure enough, there was a nest high in the tree overhead. > > Well, I couldn't leave him there. There was no brush for him to hide in, and he > could have easily ended up in the street and been run over. So I caught him. > Kept clear of the beak but could not avoid the claws -- ouch! They certainly > have a powerful grip, and my hand ended up feeling like a pincushion. But it > was worth it to keep him from possibly being killed. Not to mention being cool > as all get-out to be able to actually hold such a magnificent creature! > > My wife wrapped him in a towel and helped me pry the claws from my hand, then > we drove home and put him in a cardboard box. Called Project Wildlife, a local > animal rescue organization, and they had me bring him in to their facility > where he will be fed and cared for until he can be released back into the wild. > > Cooper's and the very similar "sharp-shinned" hawks occasionally hang out near > our feeders, hoping to catch sparrows and other small birds.

I've always thought something like this would be the ideal "pet" for a serious rocketeer: able to spot thermals for you, and to track your rocket after the chute comes out. Train it to do the "Lassie" or "Flipper" routine to alert you to danger, ATF agents, etc.

Bob Kaplow

LOL!

Reply to
default