Re: S 724 is as dead as yesterday's fish

So do I, and I have been polygraphed.

The problem with a polygraph is that it is NOT a lie detector. It will accurately measure respiration, heartbeat, and skin resistance. It assumes that when a person practices deception, certain physiological parameters will change as well.

The problem is, these paremeters may or may not change, and they do not change uniformly in all people (or for that matter in the same person). The ultimate arbiter of the truthfulness or deception of a statement is the person administering the test. And different testers, when presented with the same polygraph data, provide different opinions.

This is the key word: OPINION. The results of a polygraph are an OPINION. And because of this, they are not admissible in criminal proceedings.

I'm a test engineer. The tests I design must be repeatable and reproducible in order to be useful, and I use tools to gauge the repeatability and reproducibility of my tests. A polygraph is neither repeatable nor reproducible.

Frank Rizzo, Philly's former Mayor and Police Commissioner, was an ardent supporter of polygraphs until he failed one.

FWIW, I passed mine.

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Oooh, oooh, I just gots to chime in here. Speaking of opinions and test engineers: "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."

Doug Test engineer many, many years ago...

Reply to
Doug Sams

So you say! ;)

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Me too. Now I mostly just test future engineers. ;)

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

So you say......

Care to take a polygraph?

steve

Reply to
default

Is passing a polygraph like passing a kidney stone?

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

Can't be half as bad as passing a Cessna 150. Even a little bit at a time...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

No, NSA.

Bill Sullivan

Reply to
The Rocket Scientist

Government employees are NOT held to the same standard as citizens and that is a major error.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Thanks for the nightmares...