Rocket Challenge amateur film crew.

I'll support his mag but, I'm not buying his panties.

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

not with CTI motors

Reply to
AlMax714

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Lehr. That's what I was afraid of...

Bob Kaplow

Point!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Majority opinion.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's what they all say. 8-)

Phil

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

Might crash. Not will. Might.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Them that have, them that will and them that will again...

Rocky Firth Member of group 3

Reply to
Rocky Firth

Nah. Will.

And usually not the cyclist's fault.

Just after I got my motorcyling license, I saw in less than 24 hours:

  • car hits motorcyclist stopped at red light.
  • motorcyclist drives into 10 ft. x 10ft. by 10 ft. cube pit dug in road by construction crew and left uncovered and unmarked. Yes, it was dark out.
  • car turning at light plows into oncoming motorcyclist
  • motorcyclist forced off road by truck
  • car pulls out of side street, hits motorcyclist
  • motorcyclist forced into pothole by car
  • I forget the 7th one.

None of these were the motorcyclist's fault, and all resulted in the motorcyclist getting a trip to the E.R.

Needless to say, I never drove my motorcycle again. Not logical - on the same basis, I should be driving a Humvee.

Zooty

Reply to
zoot

At first, all the errors were giving me a headache, but I had another drink and started watching it from an entertainment standpoint. It was much better.

We as rocketeers are generally a fat, ugly bunch who don't do well in front of a camera, myself included. I'm sure they have enough footage to put together a 10 hour show of us looking like morons. I think they did well overall considering what they had to work with. We aren't actors! Think about this one; Look at the people who got the most airtime. They're business owners, public figures, etc... Point a camera at Joe Shmoe rocket geek and he may know his stuff but that's not how it comes out.

We do need a way to submit our constructive criticism so they do a better job next time. If there is a next time and I hope so. Another show will probably be 10x better. We will be better prepared and they will be better educated.

Perhaps someone with a direct relationship can volunteer to collect useful comments and criticism so it can be passed along in a helpful way. We could all post what we think on this or another public forum. I personally don't want to read about errors I missed while watching, It will ruin my fun.

Dan Chandler Southern New England Association of Rocketry

Dan Chandler

Leave bike in gear and scan mirrors. MSF 101.

Dark shield? Inadequate lighting? Too fast for conditions?

Regarding this and the rest-

is

A motorcyclist must use defensive driving skills above and beyond that of the average cager. Many times accidents are avoidable but a lack of attentiveness or ability on the part of the motorcyclist results in a crash. It may be the cagers fault but it falls on the motorcyclist to avoid the accident, as accidents generally develop and don't "just happen". This requires training, practice and skill.

I have been riding on the street for ~20 years (over 15k miles this year alone) and have not seen that much carnage. Perhaps you exaggerate?

But anyway, statistics do not back up the "will" absolute.

Got a MC endorsement? Hey, you just dropped your risks by ~50% Don't drink and ride? A whole bunch more numbers just went away Been riding for more than 3 years? Chances of crashing just dropped again. How about a MSF course or two? And so on and on...

End result is that very few old farts who have been riding forever end up in crashes. But facts don't back up all the moms telling their children fairy tales about the hazards of motorcycling.

Might you have a crash? Certainly. But risks can be mitigated.

Your big hazard group these days are the ~50 somethings who haven't ridden in 25 years who go out and buy a big cruiser, a leather vest and a beanie helmet and then proceed to bar-hop all over town.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Even with Aerotech 75mm motors, if you use a BlackSky/DaveyFire E-match folded back about 1/2" and dipped with a double layer of Igniterman gray pyrogen, it'll light as soon as the LCO pushes the button... you know he must have been allowing some "warm-up time" when you see the rocket climbing the rail as he says "one"!

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

A motorcyclist would do well to believe this and act on it whether or not it is predetermined he will get into an accident some day.

A trend does not an outcome make.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Film and processing are both still available:

See also
for a 'metadirectory' of 8mm film info.

Before using the camera I'd have a clean, lube, and align done on it; the springs and belts tend to not work quite right after sitting for many years.

Reply to
Anonymous

I didn't really mean "old" in that sense of the word...just that it was what I had before the one with the color LCD viewfinder. :)

I don't have any old film movie cameras...we couldn't afford anything like that. Most of my family didn't even have electricity until the 50's.

tim

Reply to
Tim

Not this Tim. I don't smoke unless I'm on fire...literally.

tim

Reply to
Tim

And the squids that love doing stoppies and wheelies down the interstate in heavy traffic...but can't negotiate a simple curve at the legal speed limit.

Reply to
Tim

Reply to
Gene Costanza

I have to admit that I'm kinda siding with Bill S. on this one. A very good friend of mine - whom had attended many launches with me - said she was mightilty disppointed with the videography as well.

Nevertheless, it's the state of affairs > I just finished watching the very poorly filmed, three hour show. I find

Reply to
Gene Costanza