Rocket Challenge amateur film crew.

Yes. That's why I drive defensively.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It would certainly be something to see on a Wing.

Tires today are Sticky. REAL Sticky. And hey, if it can happen to Yates, Mladdin, and "The Doctor", it can certainly happen to us mere mortals.

I wasn't there and, since you are telling this to help others, I will not try to offer comment or judgement as to whether you did the right thing or not. What happened is what happened.

Film at 11.

Trained reflexes truly amaze me. I was heading home the other night and a deer sprang out from his hiding spot and landed in the road right in front of me. Even before an expletive could leap from my lips my hand had already grabbed a ton of front brake and I was countersteering away at the same time. No time for brake-getoffbrake-swerve...just reflexes, good Metzlers and a touch of luck.

Missed the deer but I went by so close I could have kicked him.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

That happened to me several years ago. I'm more paranoid about deer at night than cagers to this very day. Cagers are predictable in their driving habits, reactions, etc. I almost always know what they are going to do before they do, considering we tend to see them way before they see us. Deer are totally unpredictible. They may freeze, change directions multiple times, etc. Hopefully, they exit stage left and don't look back, but not always.

You should have! ;)

tim

Reply to
Tim

Hmmm... California is more worried about who you run into than what happens to you, I guess... you have to have liability insurance ("financial responsibility") to process a vehicle registration but there isn't a requirement for medical coverage on the operator.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

On 13 Nov 2003 03:13:17 GMT, In the heat of the moment, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (RayDunakin) posted: .

Aldi"s. Poor people eat cheap food which is lots of fat and starch.

IMHO it is another way that poor people get screwed.

-- Bill

I am a member of the rabble in good standing. -- Westbrook Pegler --

Reply to
Bill Schowengerdt

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 16:05:10 -0500, In the heat of the moment, Kurt Kesler posted: .

Me too. However, I have borrowed a friend's Honda F 3 and even on it, I don't have the balls (or stupid enough) to try it. BTW... I know they look like bubble-gum machines, and are uncomfortable to ride, but have you ever tried a ride on a crotch ricket?

Damn they are fast. 150 mph and still accelerating. AND they corner like a slot car.

Old Dunlop on front, and new sticky Michelin or rear. I suspect you are correct. The sticky tire did me in. I have laid down several bikes but this was my first time on the high side. ;(

For years I worried about hitting a bird. No one I asked had ever heard of it happening. People ridiculed me for fearing such an event.

A few years ago... A dove square in my chest. 70 mph. Damn near took me off the bike.

-- Bill

I am a member of the rabble in good standing. -- Westbrook Pegler --

Reply to
Bill Schowengerdt

If you ever get a chance to go to MN in late August you'll have to check out the MN state fair. Some days it averages close to 100k people in a day and the vast majority of fair goers are well over 300+ lbs. The last time I was there I lost count how many 400+ lb human mountains grazing about. They travel in heards to the cheese curds booths. I saw one woman(I think) with her 3 kids, equally as rotund, orbiting around her like the moons of jupiter. The smallest moon said out the funniest thing I've ever heard....'mommy? can I have the deep fried banana on a stick? I promise it won't give me diarea this time'.

Ted Novak TRA#5512

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

Wipe . . . rum . . . and . . . coke . . . from . . . keyboard . . . and. . .wall on other side of the room!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

:-D AAHHHHHHAAHHAA ......need change of skivvies... :-(

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

In Kansas PIP is mandated to be a part of all auto insurance. Motorcycles have no requirement for medical coverage.

This fact is not widly known. I did not know it untill AFTER my wreck.

-- Bill

I am a member of the rabble in good standing. -- Westbrook Pegler --

Reply to
Bill Schowengerdt

What about all those unhelmeted automobile drivers who suffer head injury? From my previous post: Automobile accidents account for

45.5% of all head injured patients and are responsible for 37.1% of all fatalities involving head injury. Who foots their bill?

And let us not forgot those 40,000 folks injured by toilets annually, either.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

Although technically not a crotch rocket, I do own a Hayabusa and yeah, it's kinda quick. ;-)

It's a tank in the twisties, though.

I believe it was at Brainerd this year that Eric Bostrom got hit by some kind of gull during a superbike race. So it does happen.

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

I'm guessing our rule is as it is because the motorcycle, unlike a car, will do minmal damage to property while almost guaranteeing medical bills by the rider........that almost seems like common sense, so I doubt that is the reason behind it :-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Let's see.......motorcycle miles driven in this country is minute compared to automobile miles driven every year......weigh the mileage of each and come up with a percentage of head injury for each per mile driven......I'm guessing motorcycles have a huge number compared to automobiles.......automobile head injury should drop in the future as laws require more seat belted persons (sort of cutting off Darwinism at the knees) , so the future for head injury in a car will lessen, take the helmet off and head injury potential for motorcycles will climb........I doubt any motorcycle racer would ever start a race without a helmet, just as any race driver would never leave the pits without be belted in. Racing showed us the way, but Darwinism continues to show it's ugly head.

The car insurance minimums here are (IIRC) $100,000 for medical, bikes are $10,000..........but at least the bikers are forced to have *some* coverage.....so we all pay for the underinsured drivers and riders.......but if there's a way to lessen it, then it's a no brainer......which may result with no helmet. :-)

As far as toilets I'm at a loss......are you saying they should be belted in or helmeted? Or both? ;-)

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

But the number is still 45% of ALL head injuries are from auto accidents. Not on any per mile basis, not based on anything but a percentage of the total number of head injuries suffered, not just a percentage of those where vehicles are involved. That means that 45% of all nogin bumps are the result of being in a car accident. How much money would we save if they all had been wearing helmets? I won't even use the "save the children"...

Or wearing a helmet.

So the car drivers should be legally required to wear a helmet as well. Live near the ocean? Us inlanders are paying for their emergency relief everytime a hurricane blows through. Same for folks in a flood plain. Same for people living in tornado alley. This also doesn't begin to address all the people who engage in potentially hazardous activities like hang gliding, kayaking, rock climbing, hanging around with Bob Kaplow, etc. etc..

The "social cost" argument just doesn't hold water.

Both. See the Mythbusters with the exploding john?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

don't forget trains ...

on a commericial break on TDC the said in America a train collides with a car, bus or truck every 90 minutes

- iz

Kurt Kesler wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Somebody find that train and stop it!!! (ba-dum-bump)

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Ted Novak scribbled:

LOL!!!

Reply to
RayDunakin

Hmmm... your state requires you to buy "uninsured motorist" coverage? CA merely requires that it be offered, and that a record be made if the offer is declined (i.e., there's a space on the form for you to sign a specific statement that "no, I don't want to buy the 'uninsured motorist' coverage too").

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

When I lived in Missouri, this was an option. Killer is that it's only medical coverage, and not a heck of a lot of that. (The total amount could easily be consumed in a day in the hospital.) The rub is that if you get hit by an uninsured motorist, you bear the burden of the repair to your car, which means you still need collision and comprehensive. So, if you have an old car, and you've opted to only carry liability and not carry C&C (which is a common scenario), and you get hit by an uninsured motorist, your uninsured motorist insurance doesn't pay for the damage to your car. Kinda worthless.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams