ROL NEWS--AeroTech Endorses Consumer Adjustment of RMS Delays

It's not cost effective at all. The manufacturers have to make and stock all those different delays, plus they have to burn up motors to certify them all. Then the dealer has to stock all of them. And once the motor is assembled, you're screwed if you want to use it in a rocket that needs a longer delay. Sure, you could just buy long delays for every motor you buy, and throw out the medium delay, but that gets expensive. Plus the dealer may not have long delays for every motor.

It's insane, and the obvious solution is to just make one long delay for each motor and just let people adjust it as needed. I can't imagine why anyone would think that's difficult or burdensome, especially if a cheap tool was sold for the purpose (ala CTI and SynerJet).

Reply to
raydunakin

So quit flapping your lips, and comply with the requirements to cert your motors.

Oh wait, you already admitted that you can't comply. Too bad, so sad.

Reply to
raydunakin

While I agree with your assessment that getting the delay time down to the precise second isn't strictly necessary, I must disagree with your conclusion that shortening the delay is "never a good tactic". If your motor only comes with a 10 second delay column and you need a 6 second delay, you'd darn well better shorten it!

Ditto, and I've been drilling delays since the 80's.

Reply to
raydunakin

experience

That's depends on why you're making the flight. If the only purpose of the flight is to get that cert no matter what, then yeah, keep it simple.

My original high power cert was done using a cluster of motors, both composite and BP, in a camera payload rocket. Not simple, but it's what I wanted to fly. Anything less would have been pointless.

Reply to
raydunakin

manufacturer

You could ask Congress to interpret the laws they write too, but they won't do it either. It's not their job.

Getting an "interpretation" from NAR/TRA wouldn't change that. It's still up to the AHJ to interpret the laws.

Right, so don't wake them up.

deceive....

Who is being deceived, and by whom?

barely

Why do you want someone to interpret the regs for you, but automatically reject interpretations that aren't strict enough to suit your taste?

Reply to
raydunakin

In other words, it's only a "conflict of interest" if it's someone Jerry hates.

including

NFPA does not exclude manufacturers from its membership nor from participating in the processing of writing NFPA codes. So... why don't you have a seat on the NFPA, Jerry?

raydunakin

Pyrotechnics

Wait a sec... Jerry, is someone preventing you from buying and using shakers to mix your propellent? If not, how is it "exclusionary" to require it?

Non-compliance. Do you need a dictionary?

Reply to
raydunakin

appear that

launch but

Nope. Nobody's membership has been revoked to "close a loophole". Yours was revoked for other reasons, as you well know.

Reply to
raydunakin

In article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Jerry Irvine at snipped-for-privacy@gte.net wrote on 4/17/05 4:52 PM:

There is no such limitation.

Read the code in full. Then read it again until you figure it out.

A personal decision, or override by the local AHJ.

Reply to
Gary C. Rosenfield

A rule that everyone has to follow. Moron

Reply to
Phil Stein

Poor Jerry

Reply to
Phil Stein

Since you posted that, what did he (Dixon) allegedly do?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Big spenders like you won't like the cost associated with adding variable delays.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Don't insult morons Phil..(:-)

Reply to
WallaceF

None of your bloody business.

Of course, you can't resist stirring the pot and hoping to cause problems. It does seem to be your area of expertise.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Gary brought it up.

I was just wondering if it was the "video thing" or something else.

Even I agree spreading the details on rmr is unlikely to have a helpful outcome. Look at me!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry's real expertise is fraud.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

I'm assuming Gary was refereing to the infamous Estes / Vulcan "videotape" that was claimed to show that reloads were unsafe. Except what was in the box wasn't reload grains, but propellant shavings, plus some BP to get it ignited.

Bob Kaplow

I did not want to assume. I wanted to hear a fact.

Whatever it was, he claims it hurt business sufficiently to lay off many employees.

I was just thinking to myself, the video tape was offered to an obscure NFPA committee, and even if some how DOT ever saw it (possibly after Chuck Rogers did his dog and pony show going from group launch to group launch giving a presentation of how evil Vulcan was for this video), that would not affect in-place DOT approvals.

I seem to recall (and admissions to the point) that reloadables which were released by AT in 8-90 at LDRS and which were certified almost immediately (en masse) on a "trial basis" and BEFORE they ever received DOT approvals (or safety code or NFPA). The approvals were late 1994 IIRC.

It seems to me he is complaining about a drop in sales of "illegal" goods.

Am I right?

On-topic replies would be appreciated.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It's odd that Gary would bring up the subject without specifics or further comments. Could this be a game to try to harm his competition? I'm not saying it is but I'm wondering.

Reply to
Phil Stein