SaveRocketryNOW Raffle Prize Distribution Poll

There seems to be a controversy about the way the prize packages were organized for the SRN Meg Raffle. If you are a ticket holder for the raffle,
please visit
http://www.saverocketrynow.org/rafflepoll.asp
and cast your vote to help determine the proper way of handling the prize distribution. There are 3 options. The poll will only take you about 1 minute to complete. This poll will close tonight at 9:00 pm PST

The alternatives offered are not much better. The problem is if I win one of these "bundles", there's too much stuff I can't use or don't want, and there's stuff in a "lower prize" bundle I'd rather win. When I raised this point some time ago, I was told the raffle winners would get to pick what they wanted up to some total value, from grand prize winner to last prize winner. That made sense. What was actually delivered doesn't.
len.
Leonard Fehskens wrote:

That's the first I've heard of that idea. That type of approach can work when everyone is present. But with the ticket holders spread all over the country (and I'm guessing the world), it become unmanageable -- it would take months to work through it.
-Kevin
I think that with all raffles, the winner should take what is given and that be that. If there is something that the winner doesn't want, he can use that to trade at a launch or where ever for some thing he needs. You people are forgetting what you really gave the money for to begin with. The raffle is just a bonus.
Just my opinion.
John Hornsby

one
and
this
what
prize
a.hornsbyiii wrote:

Shhh... You're making too much sense.
-Kevin

I agree 100%, I didn't donate for the raffle. But if I win a "prize", I will end up selling or giving away most of what I won, because as currently offered, the prizes are mostly of little use to me.
Seriously, what am I going to do with a $12000 sounding rocket recovery system? Make a tent out of it for sunny launch days?
len.
Actually, I've been looking for cheap surplus parachutes to use as sun shelters for my Son's Boy Scout troop. This would be SOOOOO cool.
Leonard Fehskens wrote:

--
Alex Mericas

The voted and approved and implemented change is an improvement. When I went to the prize listing page I noted all of the USR product prices were understated and different from what was submitted to the organizers. Rather than demand a correction, I am posting the fact here.
I figure that page will be dead and go away after the raffle this weekend anyway.

That it is. I'm still not too comfortable with the $13,000 Grand Prize, followed by a $10,000 value-drop to second place. I know it's not my call, and Frank is closer to the problem than I am, but I would have liked to have seen a Grand Prize of no more than 6-7 kilobucks, followed by a $3000, $2000, and the rest in parcels no smaller than $500.
Just MHO. :-)
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.rogers.com (Len Lekx) wrote:

In Frank's support, the prizes were never the point for him or even for most of the donators. The industry success (potential) was.
Frank Uroda should be commended fo his idea, his focus and his intestinal fortitude.
I was skeptical RMR puts that facton the record. I was also among the earliest and strongest supporters "just in case".
Blind faith is powerful.
27 CFR 555.141-a-8
Just Jerry
Len Lekx wrote:

Kinda hard when there's a single item that the manufacturer slaps a $12,500 price tag on. That really skews things.
-Kevin

I want it!
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 18:52:28 -0600, Kevin Trojanowski

Good point. That's something I hadn't considered.

Kinda like the game shows. You don't want to win a trip unless you can go on it. You can't sell it for what the 'value' is and it's unlikely you'd pay the 'value' if you were to buy one out right. You still get to pay tax on the 'value' even if it only fetches $10 on ebay.
Joel. phx

Gift tax is something like 30% of the "retail value" too. The local paper in LA is repleat with "game show winners" selling prizes to pay the tax.
I believe the group of volunteers running this are trying to be completely fair and do what is right for all. The goal is to garner more support for our hobby. The lottery was just a carrot for me. I bow to their wisdom, their time constraints, and their skills, knowing that they are not out to deprive anyone of any opportunity or gain. I too added hard earned money to this, at a time when I am not even sure about my job! Not much in the grand scheme, but hard for me. I know others did the same. Please all lets not blow this out of proportion, and loose site of the greater goal, and gain for us all!
Just my 2 cents
Mike Dickinson shortckt4-at-cox(dot)net

raffle,