AOL finally dumps newsgroups

This morning when I clicked on my rec.models.scale link, an AOL message popped up saying "invalid favorite place". Finally gone from AOL.

Oh well, there's always google groups.

Rob Gronovius

Reply to
rgronovius

losing aohell is like losing 'rhoids.

I began "shopping" for a nrew reader about a month ago when I noticed the volume of opsts was decreasing. A coupl;e-three weeks ago, when the AOL notice began popping up, I went ahead and switched to the Verizon news account and am using Outlook Express as my reader. Once I got that working, I deleted RMS as a favorite place on AOL and haven't looked back.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Rhoids can come back. ;-)

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Does AOL let your newsreader go to a third party news server? Check. individual.net server.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

Haven't you noticed AOL's new ads, where they "protect" their "innocent & misguided" customers from the self-inflicted horrors of the Internet? It's all part of their plan. ;-) Larry Engesath

Reply to
Larry Engesath

Reply to
GRAHAM WALKER

I'm using Google for now, but it's kind of a pain in the ass. Hope to be around for a while at least!

Reply to
Old Timer

unless you're married to it, oe is kinda crappy. just take a look at nx201.zip google will give it to you. it's free and some much easier/cleaner. only 660k, too!

well yes, but so can ex's, vampires and bad checks. hopefully aohell isn't that resilient.

amen sothers and bristers!

resistance is futuile, you will be.....oops, aol lost the thread.

bubbanews.com except for a $3.95 setup fee, they are free and carry all the model groups.

yes, you can download 50 megs a day and upload unlimited. retention is quite good also. i'm a po boy and they work for me.

The thing I didn't like about Google was that I couldn't edit reply to take out extraneous parts, or keep selected parts, of old message.

Someone clued me to news.individual.NET, a third party news server and it is fine. My ISP lets me use any news server I want- don't know if AOL will allow that or not.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minneapolis

legally, they can't stop you. read their boilerplate.

Digital_Cowboy

i would share, but i have been strait edge for 14 years. that's a hardcore music fan's term for no drugs, alcohol or unsafe sex. some are vegans, i say if it's dead or moving slowly, bbq it!