AV-8B/ Harrier II plus/ Super Harrier

Hi, as always, investigation starts early... I have here TwoBobs decal sheet for various OIF Harriers. The instructions contain all the above mentioned (+Night attack). I am a little bit confused about all these variants. can anyone depict the (external) differences between them all? For example what about the LERX? 65% LERX? 100%LERX And GR7? different LERX's too? Reason: I am planning to build a whole range of Harriers. TIA Ingo

Reply to
Ingo

The Harrier SIG at

one of the best places to check. LERX are a whole saga on their own,but the info is out there :)

Hope this helps,

Chek

Reply to
Chek

First, ALL of the USMC variants are designated "AV8B"...which I'll admit is a bit confusing. They are differentiated in series as: Day Attack (the original "B"), Night Attack, and Radar AV8B. Trainers are designated TAV8B.

The original Day Attack variants (and the GR Mk.5, I think) had what is known as 65% LERX - Leading Edge Root EXtentions - reduced to 65% of the original design intent; hence the name. They are the small extentions at the leading edge of the wing root, near the upper fuselage. Production Night Attack and Radar variants have full 100% LERX - the as originally proposed design. They are noticably larger and thicker.

A Night Attack jet may be distinguished from a Day Attack jet by the addition of the FLIR on the nose, a second display in the cockpit, Pegasus -408 engine, 100% LERX, upward firing chaff/flare, and an extention of the ram air duct at the base of the fin. The Radar jet brings all that, plus the Radar nose shape.

British GR's are essetially the same airframe, but add stations to the outrigger locations for additional AIM-9 carriage.

As always, check your references.

Reply to
Rufus

Ah thanks, that gives a first overlook and something to dig into. There is nothing I hate more than to find out something is completely wrong on exactly the a/c I just completed. Most of all if it can't be corrected.

Reply to
Ingo Degenhardt

Quite a few of the initial production Night Attack variants had the

65% LERX fitted (Usually the ones painted grey/green)

First 67 RAF Harrier IIs were fitted with 65% LERX, later ones had

100%. Only really the pre-production aircraft have been refitted as it is too expensive.

Other mods are a different tailcone and a flare dispenser under the fuselage

Remove nospam to reply!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming

Yes - I believe that's correct. I recall some debate as to when to retrofit/incorporate them...tied to the fitment of the -408 engine, I think. But I won't swear to it. I know that for a time there were a mix of -406 and -408 engines in USMC service at the same time.

All of the USMC variants retained the same dispenser arrangement on the lower fuselage, as I recall. The addition was four upward firing magazines.

Reply to
Rufus

The RAF one is a different shape - a 'wedge' proud of the surface

Remove nospam to reply!!

Reply to
Dave Fleming