Converting hatches on a tank

Hello, I am building the Tamiya 1/35th scale Tiger I (late version) kit. It is a nice kit and the details are pretty good, but the hatches don't open or close- you have to glue them in one position. Is there a way I can convert them so they do move? Does the Tiger I kit that has the complete interior details have opening hatches? I have a feeling I should have picked that one up instead.

Jp

Reply to
Jp

You're not going to get any very satisfying answers on this one, no "cookbook" way to do hinges. The best thing to do is to look at the real thing, figure out how it worked, then try to reproduce that in plastic strip and brass wire. Hinges are always a challenge for your creativity. You can do it; thousands of modellers do; so don't get discouraged.

Steve H

Jp wrote:

Reply to
snh9728

I THINK the Aber PE set for this kit has some hinges that are workable. If not, they sell other PE sets that include workable hinges and I think there some German Armored vehicle specific ones in their hinge sets. Aber's nuts like that anyway and they tend to over engineer their PE sets for armor, IMO.

These things are tiny though; set wobble factor to 100, and be prepared to throw out some cash because they are expensive. But they do look good when expertly assembled.

Reply to
Steve