Decal Addiction

My name is Enzo Matrix and... and... ...I am a decal addict....

First and foremost I'm really a railway modeller (but this is neither the time nor the place to discuss my carriage addiction...). Twenty-odd years ago I was a keen aircraft modeller, but I gave it up in 1985, firstly because I was living in a barrack block and later because - would you believe? - the RAF does not actually approve of people who have an interest in aircraft...!

I shifted my affections on to model railways, which is something that I have never had any reason to regret. Nevertheless, in the past year or so, I have taken up aircraft modelling again. I've decided to take a sabbatical from work for a couple of years, so I have plenty of time.

Anyway... When I was modelling aircraft before, I had bought quite a number of decal sheets for planned projects. I still have them, and very nice they are too... But, I've started buying *new* sheets.

As a railway modeller, I am used to building variations on a theme - especially with railway carriages. This has translated over into my aircraft modelling in that I build almost exclusively 1/48 Spitfires and

1/72 Hunters and F-16s. The problem arises in that there are just so many nice colour schemes for these aircraft - and I wanna have 'em all! This morning, another five sheets arrived in the post - all for F-16s: two "Vivacious Vipers" sheets from Zotz, two ANG Vipers sheets from Fox One and an Expert's Choice sheet. I now calculate that with all the sheets that I have, I could build 37 different Spitfires, 42 different Hunters and an incredible 76 different F-16s!!!!

Do you think I'm sated yet? No... 'cos I'm looking to get the Two Bobs F-16N sheet next... Will I ever build 80 plus F-16s??? Unlikely, but I just cannot resist these lovely decals!

On further consideration, another problem raises its ugly head. The last time that I built aircraft, I was sort of obsessed by F-4s. In my 20-year old stash I have a dozen pristine decal sheets for F-4s... and I can hear a siren call from them. I do *not* want to get involved with F-4s again, because I am convinced that there madness lies... but - God help me - I have very little self control!!!

Please help me!!!! Or at least tell me I'm not alone in my addiction! ;-)

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

It could be worse. You could have a computer and graphics programes and an Alps and start printing your own custom decals.......Bruuuhahahahahaahahahahaha ...choke spit drool... (hospital staff tighten staps on straight jacket......) WRF

"Nooooooo! Stop me before I build again."

Reply to
rfranklin

Hi Enzo!

Reply to
dancho

You're not alone. I forget how many Matchbox Gladiators I had here once but they were all in different schemes (and more to build!). For awhile I had a half dozen F-16s that were all going to get different NATO markings. There were a a few less F11Fs and F8Us. Don't ask about F-104s.....

As to railway afflictions, yeah, been there. I had whole trains of boxcars for different sections of the US. Despite my trying to stick to motive power from the Northeast (that was a rationalisation of its own) some other stuff started appearing such as CB&Q units (Midwest US). I can't count any European stuff as they all were factory-marked.

Yes, I love those decals too.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Yep Enzo.... been there, done that...still enjoying it. I'll get a cool decal sheet and decide to do everything on it at once. That became my Hurricane project year before last... simultaneous build of 6 Hawker Hurricanes in 1/72. I poured resin for the interiors (waste of time) and used all but one of the schemes on that decal sheet.

Current obsession is the MiG17... the VW Beetle of the cold war... I'm collecting kits and decals now, but it all started with looking at their profiles in Wings Palette website (do a simple google search...) in which there were 131 profiles for MiG17's!!

Emil Minerich, owner of Skyway Model Shop, refers to decals as "modeler's candy". I guess there are many of us with a sweet tooth!

--- Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

LOL

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

and more expensive....u.s. coins. but i have the addiction there, too.

i'm hopeless. bust halves by overton varietys, large cents by sheldon numbers, war nickels by steps...wheaties. hey guys, i'm teaching some kids to collect, we need wheat pennies. i can pay two cents apiece. also love buffalos and whatever else. i pay fair market price. i usually give newbie collectors some coin books with a few holes filled to start them off. so if you have that small jar full of stuff everyone seems to have, sell it to me so i can start some kids off right. thanks!

Beyond a $2 bill and State Quarters it hasn't had much effect here.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller
!

F-4's !!! *twitch*

Yeh I know that problem, 7 Hasegawa Ka series F-4's, 4 Esci F-4's and 8 Fujimi F-4's, one is a F-4S in VX-4 Black Bunny markings and the rest are British aircraft. opps, nearly forgot the Italeri F-4G I have as well, all

1/72, and I still have loads of spare decals for them!!!

Gondor

Reply to
Gondor