FS-595 to go away?

I found this on a GSA web site while searching for the NSN for the FS-595 sets. It seems to imply that the gov't. will do away with FS standards & utilize commercial colors.

The General Services Administration Federal Supply Service (GSA FSS) is informing all interested parties, both government and private, of our intent to inactivate the subject standard for future design, and to identify alternative Non- Governmental Standards. Accordingly, a technical review forum has been scheduled to discuss available alternatives and the impact on the federal customer of this action. This forum will be a part of the 2002 GSA Expo, to be held at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, California May 21 to 23, 2002. The meeting will be held Tuesday, May 21, 2002 from 8:00 am to 12:00 noon. This Fed-Std-595 forum is designed to give everyone the chance to participate in development of a consensus action. The meeting agenda will include summaries and presentations from commercial color standardization organizations, manufacturers, the federal user community and other parties that wish to contribute. Admission to the Expo is FREE to all Federal and Military personnel. There will be over 100 hours of training courses and a large exhibit area that will showcase the products and services of over 700 commercial companies, all with GSA contracts. For details or to register on-line visit:

Questions regarding this forum may be addressed to Dr. Ron Foster at snipped-for-privacy@gsa.gov. References

  1. To Request Copy of Standard: Federal Standard 595B, "Colors Used in Government Procurement" Military/ Federal Employees:
    others:
    [select "Engineering Policy"] [select "Sources for Federal Standardization Documents"]
  2. For Updates on this initiative: General Services Administration Hardware SuperStore fss.gsa.gov/superstore
Reply to
the Legend of LAX

"the Legend of LAX" wrote

That has been the trend for the last 10-15 years.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

I guess the upside is that now you can get Home Depot to mix your military colors

The downside of course is that Ralph Loren's RL Number: NA17 Calla Lily is probably going to clash with the rust stains on my mufflers

Reply to
Jeff Barringer

Interesting! This means that FS595A and FS595B will now move into the realm of historical references. Watch the price of a copy start to go up when modelers can't order it from the FED any more. Might be a good investment to lay a few copies back.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Oh good, then all the colours will be proprietary and we'll have to kiss someone's tushy to be allowed to use them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Can you tell me how to go about ordering this? Are they available to the public?

Reply to
Kevin

Oops -- I should have looked at the earlier thread on this topic before posting. Nevermind. :)

Reply to
Kevin