Hess's Bf 110

I plan to model this aircraft in 1/48 and was wondering if some after market vendors have the decals. Also was there any external differences between his plane, a 110E I think and other "regular" 110's.

Reply to
Dick

Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
Dick

Hi Dick,

I just done a quick google search and the following link should provide your answer's, being 110D with extra fuel tanks, no ammo and electronic gizmo (Knickbein Receiver) in place of gunner/navigator normally there.

Source looks good as it quotes reference books at the bottom.

Cheers, Stephen.

Reply to
SL

Fujimi makes the BF 110 C/D in both 1:72 and 1:48; stock number for the 1:48 variant is 31002 and Eduard makes a detail set for the Fujimi 1:48 above, stock number 48253. I believe that the previous posting Re: Hess and the D variant as described is correct. I don't recall where I picked up the Astrokit, I believe it may have been at the ATL Nats. I got the fujimi cheap on ebay, although I believe that Squadron carries the Fujimis in both 1:72 & 1:48 and the Eduard detail set. Squadron also has a book on the group of 110-410 variants known collectively as the "destroyers." HTH, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Apple

Thanks guys. I have the Astrokit kit. Now all I need is marking info and decal availability.

Dick...

Reply to
Two Dogs

FWIW It has been a long time since I saw the pictures, but an article on "Hess's Mess" as it was termed showed an aircraft with standard crosses and swastika on the rudder and the 4 letter factory delivery codes, no unit insignia or special markings. I don't remember the codes any more. Since Hess was a character of some historical significance you might try a web search on him and maybe turn up a picture of the aircraft crash. I still would love to know why Hess was never let out of Spandau when people guilty of much more serious crimes got released. He was kept "on ice" till he died. My bet is he knew things that people on the allied side didn't want made public and he was too "Hot" to let loose.

Bill Shuey

Dick wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Well - there's the tiny little factor that the guy that died in Spandau WASN'T HESS. At least not according to the autopsy they did on him.

The Brits didn't want anyone to know that they shot Hess in 1941.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

the russians made a big stink about hess. they refused to consider letting him out and the west caved.

FWIW I got into this in some of the archives when employed by the D.o.D. and trust me, it was the British who kept him in there. On at least two of the annual prisoner reviews on Hess it was the British delegate who voted to keep him in Spandau, the Russians had lost interest, and in solitary at that. They didn't want something to get out no matter what.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Has anyone read The Hess Deception ? I believe it was released a year or two ago , is it a wothwhile read ?

Martin

Reply to
mlornie

and they always claimed it was the russians.