Irene

I hope everyone here on the US East Coast is prepared for this beast. I got everything of mine up off the basement floor in case we leak. Junior
didn't think of that so he has lots of stuff at risk. I do worry about the trees around here since we're fairly wet already. Not much I can do about that as they're all on other's property. Irene bids fair to hang together across the Atlantic and devil Europe too. Take care everyone. When I get off tonight I'm staying off for a couple days. See you on the other side!
Bill Banaszak
On 27/08/2011 4:10 PM, Mad Modeller wrote:

God bless and good luck to all in Irene's path. I'm sure all those who have endured hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons have you in their thoughts and prayers.
RobG (the Aussie one)

And those who haven't.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

On Long Island, NY was less than we feared but still bad. Heavy Rain and wind. Our neighborhood was evacuated but all we ended up with is small amount of water in the basement and minor garden damage. We have 5 cats - so we braved it out with them. Neighborhoods closer to the Bay had water in the streets, and thus basements. Major beach erosion. They built up 12 foot sand berms to protect one ocean beach - they were breached. Many highways flooded in sections. Drivers who braved the storm sometimes drove into several feet of water thinking it was just a wet road. All mass transit on Long Island and New York City started shutting down as of noon Saturday. The four major airports were shut down. We had bad thunderstorms last week which left the ground wet - then the soaking from Irene resulted in many trees - and the wires that ran between the branches going down. Both the Thunderstorms and Irene brought a total summer's worth of rain to some sections.
Val Kraut

major glad you're ok.
On 8/30/2011 9:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:> <pre wrap>
&lt; snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net&gt; wrote:

cats - so

in the

foot sand

flooded
feet
major
the
and
I agree. We got lots of rain and wind and spent about 7 hours without power. The dregs of the storm cleared out by early afternoon Sunday. Fortunately the power wasn't off much longer or we would have had a major cookout Sunday afternoon. No water in the basement, no caving in of the foundation. The roof appears to be whole. Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

the regulars have to stick together. i wouls cheerfully aid any of us any way i could. you guys help them long nights go by better.

we are glad you emerged wet and shiny. and ok.

Was there a hurricane? I hardly noticed.
Really, I've been through much worse weather.
--
Words of wisdom

What does not kill you... probably didn't cause enough tissue damage.

what doesn't kill you was cut too much.