Irene

I hope everyone here on the US East Coast is prepared for this beast. I got everything of mine up off the basement floor in case we leak. Junior didn't think of that so he has lots of stuff at risk. I do worry about the trees around here since we're fairly wet already. Not much I can do about that as they're all on other's property. Irene bids fair to hang together across the Atlantic and devil Europe too. Take care everyone. When I get off tonight I'm staying off for a couple days. See you on the other side!

Bill Banaszak

Reply to
Mad Modeller

God bless and good luck to all in Irene's path. I'm sure all those who have endured hurricanes, cyclones and typhoons have you in their thoughts and prayers.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

And those who haven't.

Reply to
GordonD

Irene was a non-event in my 'hood in MD. Some wind and rain. Nothing broken, blown away or flooded. The lights flashed a few times, that was it.

Reply to
eyeball
"

On Long Island, NY was less than we feared but still bad. Heavy Rain and wind. Our neighborhood was evacuated but all we ended up with is small amount of water in the basement and minor garden damage. We have 5 cats - so we braved it out with them. Neighborhoods closer to the Bay had water in the streets, and thus basements. Major beach erosion. They built up 12 foot sand berms to protect one ocean beach - they were breached. Many highways flooded in sections. Drivers who braved the storm sometimes drove into several feet of water thinking it was just a wet road. All mass transit on Long Island and New York City started shutting down as of noon Saturday. The four major airports were shut down. We had bad thunderstorms last week which left the ground wet - then the soaking from Irene resulted in many trees - and the wires that ran between the branches going down. Both the Thunderstorms and Irene brought a total summer's worth of rain to some sections.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

we are glad you emerged wet and shiny. and ok.

Reply to
someone

major glad you're ok.

Reply to
someone

Mad Modeller wrote in news:w- CdnaH0zsJZF8XTnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Was there a hurricane? I hardly noticed.

Really, I've been through much worse weather.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

what doesn't kill you was cut too much.

Reply to
someone

On 8/30/2011 9:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@some.domain wrote:>

I agree. We got lots of rain and wind and spent about 7 hours without power. The dregs of the storm cleared out by early afternoon Sunday. Fortunately the power wasn't off much longer or we would have had a major cookout Sunday afternoon. No water in the basement, no caving in of the foundation. The roof appears to be whole. Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

the regulars have to stick together. i wouls cheerfully aid any of us any way i could. you guys help them long nights go by better.

Reply to
someone