Koester Kits and GHQ paints

Hi,

Back 10 or 15 years agon there was a guy selling kits and accessories for kits via ads in Fine Scale Modler. His name was Koester (hope the spelling is close).

What happened? Did he burn out or die or what. Just curious.

Anyone remember GHQ paint from 1970. The finest pigment paint which flowed so well that brushed jobs looked like airbrushed jobs.

Jim Klein

Reply to
West Coast Engineering

koster vacs ? there is a pic of mr koster in the vendors section of the ipms nats.

Reply to
KONDA24

Bill Koster is still in business and producing fine vac kits and vac and resin accessories. Write to: Koster Aero Enterprises

610 Euclid Court Highland Park, IL 60035

Yes, I remember GHQ paints - maybe even before 1970. They were in a thin, tall bottle, each bottle had a BB or something that would rattle and help mix the paint when you shook it. Very good paint, although some colors didn't have a great shelf life.

Reply to
JimMaas

O.K. Now for a real challenge! Anybody remember "Official Hobby Paints"?

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Bill Koster. Makes a nice line of classy vac-u-form kits and designs kits for Monogram.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Not only do I remember those, I remember Aurora Speed-Dry Enamels and Revell Type "S" Paint Set Enamels.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Never saw any but I vividly recall their ads. I even painted up a 109 in a scheme I saw there although I think it was for an Emil and I did a Gustav. The paints had the feature of coming to you already cured is what I've heard of them.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I don't know about the paints but there are a couple pieces of Finishing Touch sheets in the decal spares box. And some His-Air-Decs.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I've never heard of GHQ paints, but it is possible that they were made by

Maybe you can contact them to see if that is true (since they have been around since 1967).

It is also possible that they were repackaged Floquil paints as they have very fine pigments.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

I doubt they were made by Floquil. At the time GHQ paints came out, Floquil enamels had a xylene (carrier? base?) which made them extremely 'hot' when used on plastics, and really required a primer or they'd craze the plastic. Trust me, they were not good for hand brushing on plastic. GHQ paint was very good for hand brushing. Also, GHQ didn't have the 'ya might wanna think about ventilation' aroma that 60's-70's Floquil did.

Reply to
JimMaas

You mean you didn't get high while painting your model? I agree.

Jim klein

Reply to
West Coast Engineering