looking for advice: toning down red decals

Hello, I used some red microscale stripes on my 1/72 OV-10 Bronco model to represent the strips along the cockpit window sill. Unfortunately, the red color is much to vibrant, so I was wondering about methods for dulling the red a bit. I remember reading someplace that a light sanding will dull decals? Any other good methods?

Thank you!

Reply to
Pauli G

I ordinarily dull down decals by airbrushing over them with the color they are applied over. That would be VERY difficult next to a canopy.

You might try, however, drybrushing over them with a small brush, with the fuselage color. VERY CAREFULLY.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota

I've had good results using weathering powders that are usually used by railway and armour modellers.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Just cover the canopy's transparent areas before doing it, using one of the compounds we disscused in the other threads. I ran into the same problem with a assembled aircraft I wanted to Dullcote, and that's the route I went, using Elmer's glue.

That's going to be tricky. Very tricky.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I'd try mixing some of the fuselage color with a clear coat of the same type (e.g. acrylic paint + acrylic clear), and brush or airbrush it over the decal. Sort of like a wash, but not as runny. That ought to make it easier to control how much tint is applied.

Another option is to remove the decal (try pulling it off with tape), take another decal stripe, paint it to achieve the desired color, and then apply that to the model.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris