My neighborhood Target begins stocking models

They have a selection that resembles Wal-Marts', i.e. AMT cars, Polar Lights DeLorean, Homer Simpson car, Ecto-1, Scooby Doo van, Mach 5, some Maitso diecast cars with Hulk, Spider-man, Daredevil and Dr. Doom.

I didn't see any supplies. The last time I saw models in a Target was over 5 years ago when they carried Lindberg kits in Discover Channel boxes (Space Shuttle, 2 P-47s w/He-111, and 2 Hellcats w/Betty).

Rob Gronovius Visit my motor pool in the

gallery

Reply to
Rob Gronovius

Rob, our local Target stopped stocking about 2yrs ago - it goes in cycles...

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

The local Walmart usually has a few warbirds and ships, plus an entire aisle of GI Joes and other toy implements of destruction, just a few aisles away from their large gun department... Hobby Lobby, a company owned by a church who won't open on Sundays, offers a reasonable selection of fine scale models of military planes, ships and other weapons, and is even gracious enough to occasionally discount them!

Ironically, Walmart even has TARGET team NASCAR diecasts. ;-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett

Is there something wrong with them being closed on Sundays?

Reply to
Grandpa

Instead of building models of stuff they're too young to have, as 25 years ago, the tots are in the living room flying, driving, and crashing it on PlayStation. ;)

Reply to
scottscottscott

Question and comment.

Do you know which church owns HL? Just curious..

And - If religion is important to the owners, then I'm sure that requests for alternate days off by employees belonging to other religions would be met with (at least) a sympathetic ear. Sunday is their day of worship - hence no opening - holidays are secular, therefore fair game for being open.- makes sense to me. Make more money by being open on the Sabbath? Some things are seen as being more important than money by some people; it's good that they have the courage of their convictions and are willing to stand up and be seen to practice what they preach.

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

From the company website, I can't find anything about any church that owns it, apparently the guy who started it still owns it.

He's apparently very religious:

My guess is that while having Sunday off is so employees can go to church, HL cannot have a policy that employees must use the time to go to church, although it's probably implied from management

Regarding other religions, while HL cannot officialy discriminate based on religion in the hiring process, my guess would be that most people that work there are Christian, specifically Christians that celebrate the Sabbath on Sunday.

Chick-Fil-A, (home of the finest chicken sandwich on the planet) has the same policy:

But note they've amended it to include having time with family or just taking a break.

Which is fine, they could close every alternate Tuesday if they wanted to, or close when there is a new moon, but anymore, it's odd in States for a chain store to be closed on Sundays, and for HL to be so vocal in their religious convictions is very odd for a chain store.

Ken

---------------- Ken Lilly snipped-for-privacy@technologist.NOSPAM.com

*remove NOSPAM to reply* When diplomacy fails, send in the B-52's
Reply to
Ken

Its on the back of their semi-trailers. We've discussed it here about a zillion times. Its true.

Signs on the doors says closed Sundays for worship and family. I'm sure they don't make then work if they don't have any family.

Or at least the owners. My daughter applied and didn't sense anything that would suggest workers were expected to be any different than anyone else. A strong work ethic doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Signs on every HL door here say closed Sunday for worship or family.

I don't consider what they are doing to be being vocal about it and they mention no religious convictions other than closed Sunday for worship.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Hiett