OT: Veterans Day Tribute Site

Today is the official Veterans Day when we honor those who have served and especially those who died in the service of the United States. I
recommend you visit this web site and view some of the tributes to individual soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen who made the ultimate sacrifice. http://www.legacy.com/Soldiers.asp?Page=FSMovingTributes

and think of the quiet guys who did their jobs and no one ever heard of. the great majority of the unsung are the war winners and world savers. put flowers on the grave of a serviceman you don't know, or clean up a gravesite, talk to a wido, go to the vet's home. lip service is easy. do you have the guts to act?
Mine (Dad's actually.) was the only flag out in the neighbourhood. Maybe there were some around the corner but I couldn't see them from here. On the plus side, there was a heck of a throat-closing story tonight on NBC news about a 15 yr. old in Alaska who learned "Taps" so she could play at veterans' funerals.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

that is pretty great.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

IIRC, they mentioned 1800 veterans die every day. That includes all veterans.
Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Yep and active duty military die in places other than Iraq too - but the politics seem to get in the way of some folks that just cannot help but use Iraq as a brickbat. Of course, all in the name of speaking out on the behalf of our soldiers fighting in Iraq - yeah right... BS.
We need more kids like this bugler with their heads screwed on straight.
WmB

or give some old guys transport.
Dear so-so:
Why can't you just let Veteran's Day be Veteran's Day without having to go into a political rant. Your stupid comment dishonors Veterans and their sacrifices. Beyond being a walking, talking rectum, you're a coward; hiding behind the anonymity of a nom de' plume while you spew out your crap. How about being a man and identifying yourself and standing behind your comment. I'd rather be part of team Bush than your team Coward.
--
Cheers: Bill Woodier
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been
Bill Woodier wrote:

Nothing I said was untrue, just contrary to the delusions of misguided idiots like you, but until my fist can make your fat face even uglier, I prefer to maintain anonymity on the web.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Dear so.noted,
Hmm. There is a problem when the newsgroups create profiles and one can check on the poster's background.
Bill Woodier is a retired USAF full Colonel with a very long and distinguished career of service (see MODEL HAWK and check the website) who served in the DPMO to try and run to earth American missing in action. He has been a good poster with a lot of useful comments.
You, on the other hand, and beginning with the dodge of a "Yahoo.com" screen name which is optimal for false postings, are a left-wing ideologue of no real social value, more interested in tawdry sleaze from Hollywood than reality. Attacks like this on US military veterans are typical of the breed and were something I didn't have any use for 40 years ago when in college either.
Of course, one of the great drawbacks of the possession of "Freedom of Speech" is the fact that it gives anyone of low repute like yourself the unmittigated ability to show how ignorant and loutish you really are, and you have done that in full measure.
Perhaps you would like to expose yourself and tell us who you served with, when and where? Ah, yes, once again you crawl back into your depths. Please, do us a favor and go back to tracking Hollywood sleaze.
In your case, the term "miscreant" applies. Look it up.
Cookie Sewell CW2 US Army (Ret) (1968-1990) Viet Nam 1970-71
Thank you, Cookie.
--
Cheers: Bill Woodier
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been

Does your mom know you're up this late playing on her computer?
WmB
Dear so: I was going to reply to you via e-mail in order not to embarrass you as I electronically field-stripped you right here but, not surprisingly, your e-mail address is as bogus as you are. And, then, what's the point with a coward who makes threats from the safety of his keyboard.
I'll leave it with the following comment: Should you so chose, I'm your huckleberry. Otherwise, crawl back behind your computer monitor.
Now, if there's nothing else...........
--
Cheers: Bill Woodier
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Obviously you're saving your fist for your love life.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hey dipstick, anytime you want to break big and bad I live in the Wash DC area, give me a holler sometime, and I will give you the opportunity to physically back up your desire. I can gaurentee you that you will be hurtin afterwards, but you already know that...
Of course people like you hide, you have to. Physically, and mentally weak you are........ (you already admit as much)

--
AM

http://sctuser.home.comcast.net

CentOS 4.3 Fluxbox 0.9.13

Amen Bill,
Amazing how people will buck and bray about the evil empire and the "staggering number of funerals ", etc, etc, and yet they know nothing about places like Khe Sanh, The Huertgen Forest, The Somme, all the places filled with all the dead, the dead that gave them the right to whine and moan about how (now heres where you pay close attention So&So) OTHER PEOPLE HAVE SELFLESSLY VOLUNTEERED to go to the places they dont want to go to because their sense of self(ish) preservation supercedes the greater good of society as a whole..
You know, if we didnt have a volunteer army, if we didnt live in a country that had these freedoms So&So, you could have been conscripted into the army, your butt could have been waiting in a slit trench to "go over the top" 90 years ago, you could have been wading ashore on Omaha Beach.
You dont have to like Bush, you have that right as an American. Hell, I dont like the guy! I voted for him, but my family is from Louisiana, so you can imagine why I dont particularly like him. But it's not "appreciate the president day", it's Veterans day. I dont particulalrly agree with the war in Iraq either; I subscribe to the Patton P.O.V. "Never pay for the same real estate twice". Lets get our guys out of there as soon as we can, send them to Afghanistan, find that waste of skin Bin Laden, drag his hide back to the USA and give him to the NYFD to take care of.
But I will NEVER dishonor my fellow veterans or deny them this special day that they deserve.
"you're a coward; hiding behind the anonymity of a nom de' plume "
That's why you shouldn't let him bother you Bill!
He's probably some little 7th grade kid getting his kicks. He's obviously very young as he thinks "dreamt" is spelled "drempt". I've never met an adult who couldnt master such an exceedingly simple word, have you?
"So&So", does your Momma know you've wondered off the Nick Jr. website honey? You better tell her, before you accidentally wander onto Myspace.
My dad was a Merchant Mariner who was on convoy PQ16 to the Sovlet Union in 1942. In the summer, there's 24 hours of daylight in the Arctic... read as no let-up from air attack; at one point his convoy had 36 hours straight air attack. Mostly He111's and Ju88's. His ship (SS Hybert) was sunk on the way back (hitting a mine) while high a dry... fortunate thing considering his ship was carrying ammunition.
Anyhow, when the movie "Das Boot" came out in the 80's, I told my dad about it, how harsh the conditions etc... his exact response was "yeah, I really feel for them" (sneering). 40 years after the battle, he still hated subs. They were the unseen enemy that struck without mercy. He eventually saw the movie, thought it was great and read the book too.
Interesting note, as a Merchant Mariner, the US government didn't recognize his status as a veteran in that theater until the 1990's. Several years after the Soviet Union did; in fact, his favorite medal was one from the Soviet Union. My dad was a hero of the Soviet Union, or something along those lines. Gaudy red and gold monster...
He passed away in 1994, and I wish I had gotten his stories on videotape. My mom didn't like him telling war stories though.
Stephen Tontoni
Stephen Tontoni wrote:

I often wondered why my Uncle continued living in Philadelphia after being in the Huertgen ,a nd at the Bulge. it just seemed to me he would have wanted to move as far south as possible, you know?
Having read (and re-read) the above postings, I thought I might offer the following quotations as appropriate as my own musings pale by comparison with these greats:
"War is an ugly thing, but it is not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by better men than himself."
John Stuart Mill 1806-1873
"We sleep softly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."
George Orwell BBC Interview 1942
"Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance. As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us."
Sir Winston Churchill
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves."
Sir Winston Churchill
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile hoping it will eat him last."
Sir Winston Churchill
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents."
Sir Winston Churchill
"Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in."
Andrew Jackson
"Moderation in war is imbecility."
Lord Thomas Babington Macaulay 1800-1859
(And my favorite)
"If an enemy power is bent on conquering you, and proposed to turn all of his resources to that end, he is at war with you; and you -- unless you contemplate surrender -- are at war with him."
Barry Goldwater
Bear with me a bit longer....only a few more. Quotations from fameous DEMOCRATS:
We will not be defeated. We will not grow tired. We will not withdraw, either openly or under the cloak of a meaningless agreement.
President Lyndon B Johnson Remarks on the Vietnam War delivered at Johns Hopkins University, April 1965
Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
John F. Kennedy Inaugural Address
I think war is never the answer to solving any problems. The best way to solve problems is to not have enemies."
Sheryl Crow (popular singer) Prior to Gulf War 2 (HUH?????? What planet is she on?)
Ed Robbeloth late of the US Air Force
I MUST STUDY politics & war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce & agriculture in order to give their children a right to study paintings, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelin. (sic)
--- John Adams (1780 letter to Abigail)