OT: Veterans Day Tribute Site

Today is the official Veterans Day when we honor those who have served and especially those who died in the service of the United States. I recommend you visit this web site and view some of the tributes to individual soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen who made the ultimate sacrifice.

robbelothe

and think of the quiet guys who did their jobs and no one ever heard of. the great majority of the unsung are the war winners and world savers. put flowers on the grave of a serviceman you don't know, or clean up a gravesite, talk to a wido, go to the vet's home. lip service is easy. do you have the guts to act?

that is pretty great.

Mine (Dad's actually.) was the only flag out in the neighbourhood. Maybe there were some around the corner but I couldn't see them from here. On the plus side, there was a heck of a throat-closing story tonight on NBC news about a 15 yr. old in Alaska who learned "Taps" so she could play at veterans' funerals.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

IIRC, they mentioned 1800 veterans die every day. That includes all veterans.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Yep and active duty military die in places other than Iraq too - but the politics seem to get in the way of some folks that just cannot help but use Iraq as a brickbat. Of course, all in the name of speaking out on the behalf of our soldiers fighting in Iraq - yeah right... BS.

We need more kids like this bugler with their heads screwed on straight.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Dear so-so:

Why can't you just let Veteran's Day be Veteran's Day without having to go into a political rant. Your stupid comment dishonors Veterans and their sacrifices. Beyond being a walking, talking rectum, you're a coward; hiding behind the anonymity of a nom de' plume while you spew out your crap. How about being a man and identifying yourself and standing behind your comment. I'd rather be part of team Bush than your team Coward.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

or give some old guys transport.

Nothing I said was untrue, just contrary to the delusions of misguided idiots like you, but until my fist can make your fat face even uglier, I prefer to maintain anonymity on the web.

Reply to
so.noted

Dear so.noted,

Hmm. There is a problem when the newsgroups create profiles and one can check on the poster's background.

Bill Woodier is a retired USAF full Colonel with a very long and distinguished career of service (see MODEL HAWK and check the website) who served in the DPMO to try and run to earth American missing in action. He has been a good poster with a lot of useful comments.

You, on the other hand, and beginning with the dodge of a "Yahoo.com" screen name which is optimal for false postings, are a left-wing ideologue of no real social value, more interested in tawdry sleaze from Hollywood than reality. Attacks like this on US military veterans are typical of the breed and were something I didn't have any use for

40 years ago when in college either.

Of course, one of the great drawbacks of the possession of "Freedom of Speech" is the fact that it gives anyone of low repute like yourself the unmittigated ability to show how ignorant and loutish you really are, and you have done that in full measure.

Perhaps you would like to expose yourself and tell us who you served with, when and where? Ah, yes, once again you crawl back into your depths. Please, do us a favor and go back to tracking Hollywood sleaze.

In your case, the term "miscreant" applies. Look it up.

Cookie Sewell CW2 US Army (Ret) (1968-1990) Viet Nam 1970-71

Reply to
AMPSOne

My dad was a Merchant Mariner who was on convoy PQ16 to the Sovlet Union in 1942. In the summer, there's 24 hours of daylight in the Arctic... read as no let-up from air attack; at one point his convoy had 36 hours straight air attack. Mostly He111's and Ju88's. His ship (SS Hybert) was sunk on the way back (hitting a mine) while high a dry... fortunate thing considering his ship was carrying ammunition.

Anyhow, when the movie "Das Boot" came out in the 80's, I told my dad about it, how harsh the conditions etc... his exact response was "yeah, I really feel for them" (sneering). 40 years after the battle, he still hated subs. They were the unseen enemy that struck without mercy. He eventually saw the movie, thought it was great and read the book too.

Interesting note, as a Merchant Mariner, the US government didn't recognize his status as a veteran in that theater until the 1990's. Several years after the Soviet Union did; in fact, his favorite medal was one from the Soviet Union. My dad was a hero of the Soviet Union, or something along those lines. Gaudy red and gold monster...

He passed away in 1994, and I wish I had gotten his stories on videotape. My mom didn't like him telling war stories though.

Stephen Tontoni

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

Does your mom know you're up this late playing on her computer?

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Dear so: I was going to reply to you via e-mail in order not to embarrass you as I electronically field-stripped you right here but, not surprisingly, your e-mail address is as bogus as you are. And, then, what's the point with a coward who makes threats from the safety of his keyboard.

I'll leave it with the following comment: Should you so chose, I'm your huckleberry. Otherwise, crawl back behind your computer monitor.

Now, if there's nothing else...........

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Thank you, Cookie.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Obviously you're saving your fist for your love life.

Reply to
tomcervo

Hey dipstick, anytime you want to break big and bad I live in the Wash DC area, give me a holler sometime, and I will give you the opportunity to physically back up your desire. I can gaurentee you that you will be hurtin afterwards, but you already know that...

Of course people like you hide, you have to. Physically, and mentally weak you are........ (you already admit as much)

{PLONK}

Reply to
AM

Cookie: I suspect that since you so skillfully pulled this troll's pants down in public, we won't see him again; at least until he changes his anonymous name again. Well done!

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Bill,

We ran into problems like with AMPS when we had an unrestricted access page and several of our less than impressive members started personal attacks under "false flags" run by either Yahoo.com or the other favorite of bogus posters, hotmail.com.

I for one am not impressed with them.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Hey Cookie:

Do you think there's a computer Guru down where we used to work who, for a bit of backsheesh, could trace back some of these posters and help us send them a really nasty virus type thingy???

Bill Shuey :-)

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Amen Bill,

Amazing how people will buck and bray about the evil empire and the "staggering number of funerals ", etc, etc, and yet they know nothing about places like Khe Sanh, The Huertgen Forest, The Somme, all the places filled with all the dead, the dead that gave them the right to whine and moan about how (now heres where you pay close attention So&So) OTHER PEOPLE HAVE SELFLESSLY VOLUNTEERED to go to the places they dont want to go to because their sense of self(ish) preservation supercedes the greater good of society as a whole..

You know, if we didnt have a volunteer army, if we didnt live in a country that had these freedoms So&So, you could have been conscripted into the army, your butt could have been waiting in a slit trench to "go over the top" 90 years ago, you could have been wading ashore on Omaha Beach.

You dont have to like Bush, you have that right as an American. Hell, I dont like the guy! I voted for him, but my family is from Louisiana, so you can imagine why I dont particularly like him. But it's not "appreciate the president day", it's Veterans day. I dont particulalrly agree with the war in Iraq either; I subscribe to the Patton P.O.V. "Never pay for the same real estate twice". Lets get our guys out of there as soon as we can, send them to Afghanistan, find that waste of skin Bin Laden, drag his hide back to the USA and give him to the NYFD to take care of.

But I will NEVER dishonor my fellow veterans or deny them this special day that they deserve.

"you're a coward; hiding behind the anonymity of a nom de' plume "

That's why you shouldn't let him bother you Bill!

He's probably some little 7th grade kid getting his kicks. He's obviously very young as he thinks "dreamt" is spelled "drempt". I've never met an adult who couldnt master such an exceedingly simple word, have you?

"So&So", does your Momma know you've wondered off the Nick Jr. website honey? You better tell her, before you accidentally wander onto Myspace.

Reply to
November