OT - WW2 TV Show

Slightly off topic:

Does anyone remember a MASH-style TV series from about 25(?) years ago featuring a WW2 US Army transport company staffed by black Americans (my apologies if this isn't the current politically-correct term) and driving mostly GMC or Studebaker 6x6 trucks?

I recall seeing several episodes when I was at school all those years ago but I have never seen a re-run and can't recall the name of the series.

As I recall, it was shown in Oz around the same time as the "Baa Baa Black Sheep" series, whenever that was. Pity about the historical accuracy of the Baa Baa series, but I it was fabulous to see those F4U's in flying & combat sequences.

James.

Reply to
James Venables

Redball Express was the show.

Reply to
Ron

That was it, lasted maybe a season and IIRC Cleavon Little was in it.

Reply to
Ron

and a very young ron harris, i believe.

wasn't it called red ball express?

I remember the not very funny show called "Roll Out" from 1973-74 - see

Morris was in it (along with Ed Begley, Jr.).

I couldn't find anything online on a TV show called "Red Ball Express". The "Roll Out" show may have been marketed under different names in different countries.

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

IMDB has it as "Roll Out" '73-'74 starring : Ed Begley Jr. Val Bisoglio Garrett Morris and some others who I've never heard of.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Vernon

"Red Ball Express" was a movie from the late 40's or early 50's. Average WWII shoot em up/move em out film. Except for the name nothing else that I remember distinctly.

Rick Clark MFEW

Reply to
OXMORON1

"Red Ball Express" was the movie, starring Jeff Chandler (IIRC) "Roll Out" was the TV sitcom version on CBS in the early 70s.

WmB

WmB

That's the one. Bisoglio is the guy I was trying to think of, though I never knew that was his name.

WmB

WmB

I saw one episode, and far from being funny, it pissed me off. Everybody was terrifed because they had to carry a load of "live mortar shells" for General Patton. It was a juvenile attempt at G.I. humor by someone who knew nothing about the military. The real Red Ball Express carried munitions every day through hostile territory still full of German stragglers, and this show was demeaning to anyone who served in it. GPO

Reply to
Lafimprov

i still think hogan's heros was a slap to pow's. remember mad's parody?

I remember the sequence that had them driving through a town on fire.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Not well, was it Hokum's Heroes?

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Mad also did a parody of "Patton", as "Put-On". They had him knocking down a German bomber "mit schpitt".

John Hairell ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

Reply to
John Hairell

hochman's heros the fun of a death camp. did a good job of slapping the series.