OV-10 Questions

OK, the HH-3 is almost done. Looking for my next quickie project before I start tackling some larger kits.

Got the old Revell OV-10. US Marine decals. Painting suggestion seems to be green (non specific, plastic color?) upper with white lowers and the entire upper wing in white.

OK, doesn't painting the upper wing in white defeat the purpose of camo? I found not to many, not very good pictures and it seems that it was done.

Someone 'splain it to me. What was the reason? Also what green did the USMC use FS or by name? Could they just be all green uppers/white (or very light grey for scale) lowers? I know there were other users but I have a second one sans decals and maybe I'll do a different one later.

The idea is to build the old kits, with minimal AM if any, simple scratchbuilding and just see how nice I can make them.

TIA, Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

There wasn't much of an air threat in Vietnam, especially where most USMC OV-10s operated. What was a problem was the attack aircraft keeping track of a little green airplane just above the tree tops. So many O-1s, O-2s, OV-1s and OV-10s (ands ceratinly others) had the top of the wing and/or fuselage painted white or orange to be seem from above. The USAn tried dark camouflage and rejected it. Marine Field Green: FS 34097.

check out:
Curt

Reply to
Curt

"Curt" wrote in news:dpyNh.55696$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.lga:

Yep. I went through my David Klaus book on color. He says 34085. Either way will work. Makes sense on the whote wings. Were the bottoms whote or some form of grey? Klaus says 36440, but only from 1970 forward.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

"Curt" wrote in news:dpyNh.55696$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe22.lga:

Yep. I went through my David Klaus book on color. He says 34095. Either way will work. Makes sense on the whote wings. Were the bottoms whote or some form of grey? Klaus says 36440, but only from 1970 forward.

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

snipped-for-privacy@yahooo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns98FEA2805AC1EWereofftoseethewizrd@216.196.97.131:

Oops, meant 34095

Reply to
Gray Ghost

The white upper wing was to aid visibility for tactical aircraft flying above the OV-10.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Sorry for the redundancy. After posting this and reading down a couple posts farther, I saw that your question had already been answered.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

"Bill Woodier" wrote in news:b6ednQmQQt2- LpTbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks!

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

There was one FAC, I believe it to have been an OV-10, that had the legend THE FAC in huge white letters on the top of the wing.

Don H.

Reply to
Don Harstad

That was a Cessna 0-2. Pretty cool.