Re: a good day

> wowsers, penny. i got my squadron, a lindberg gladiator and > the plans for a radil lanc conversion all today. > and my back is letting me walk. you guys were right about > the glad, what a nice kit. maybe a faith, hope, and charity > dio would be fun.

e:

Squadron now has added a resin cockpit set for Both the Mk. 1 and Mk.2 Gladiators to their "True Details" lines. The cockpit is really the one area of the old Inpact molds that could use help. If you don't like resin, Airwaves makes an etched metal cockpit set for a Gladiator Mk.2. The principal visual differences between the Mk.1 and Mk.2 are the propeller (Mk.1 had a 2 blade wooden job, the Mk.2 had a 3 blade fairey Reed) and the instrument panels. The Mk.2 was one of the first fighters to have the standardized RAF 6 instrument blind flying panel. The Mk.1 had an earlier type panel with the instruments placed wherever the Gloster designers thought they looked best.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

from what i've read, the malta birds were early, but had 3 blade props. is there an aftermarket canopy? and do you know if the lindberg "wire" is scale? the thread looks awfully thick.

On the other hand I just heard from him that the clear parts were missing from the sealed bag.

Anybody out there have an extra windscreen/canopy for the Lindberg (or Merit or..) Gladiator? Is there a vacuform canoopy available?

J.Marc?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

actually the bag was taped...but no biggie, something will turn up.

FWIW The Malta birds were "Sea Gladiators", ex Royal Navy birds. There was a stash of Sea Gladiators at Malta dockyard as spares for the Royal Navy Mediterranean Fleet carriers. Three bladed props (Fairey Reed fixed blades) and tail hooks removed. A couple were supposedly rebuilt after damage with later Mercury Radials from a bomb damaged Bristol Blenheim and had three bladed variable pitch props as a result, making them very unique birds. The original Inpact molds were a Gladiator Mk.1 with the two bladed wooden prop. Most of the subsequent holders of the molds (Life-like, etc.) kept that prop. For some reason, when Lindberg got ahold of the molds they junked the two blade part of the molds and added a rather poor rendition of the Fairey Reed three blader. If you really want a Mk.2, you can get a better Fairey-Reed prop from Aero Club. They make a very nice cast metal prop. The Roden Kit for a Mk.1 is rather nice, except that they have fallen into the trap of giving you the Mk.2 instrument panel. Roden's Sea Gladiator and soon to be released Gladiator Mk.2 should enable the whole Gladiator family to be made in very nice style.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Vac-u-form canopy is in one of the Falcon canopy sets for British fighters. I'm not sure if the Gladiator canopy is available in the Squadron line or not.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

haven't found one in squadron yet...but not through looking.

Congrats on your Good Day. Before you go on with your Malta project I suggest you read F.K. Mason's The Gloster Gladiator. You might be surprised about the true story of ' Faith, Hope and Charity and how the myth was prolonged as a very good propaganda tool. I would like to get hold of couple more Lindberg Glads myself as I find them almost an equal to Roden's Mk I. I've always wanted to do a diorama of RAF 263 Squadron's two adventures in Norway a really very untold story of the early war. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

if you do find more, could you heat form me a canopy? be glad to cover poatage and materials. wasn't one of the 263's aircraft a wreck near a lake for many years? i know the malta glad story was mostly fabfication, they did have hurris on strength too. but it's great mythology.

Not really into vacu-forming but if I do come by another kit I know a local modeler who is fooling around with it...but like rabbit stew...first you have to catch a rabbit :)

wasn't one of the 263's aircraft a wreck near a lake for

I believe it was either a lake or fiord in Norway that it was discovered and retrieved from. I believe its now being restored at a RAF museum?

The RAF commander on Malta didn't even know of the myth until he returned to England and read about his squadron's 'heroic adventures' in a local newspaper :-) Winston Churchill once said: " A good lie is one of the best weapons in modern warfare." Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

thanks, the library might have some.

yep, make the bads guys think you're such a bad mother they never want to fight.