Re: snow blowers

are there any pictures of the truck mounted jet engines the

> russians use for runway clearance? i get all sorts of wierd > mental images.

Hmmm, you just gave me a brainfart as well. THAT's something I'd like to see.... The truck, not the brainfart! IIRC, the French used a system of engines - I think they called it Turboclaire or something like it - to clear runway(s) of fog. I don't know if it's still in use but these Russian things... Cool stuff...

Frank Kranick IPMS/USA 20352

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

arthur clarke wrote about using giant smudge pots to burn of fog during ww2. but the jet truck thing is mentioned in red ladies in waiting, with a long, blurry pic. i'm wondering if there was an official model or if they were all lash-ups.

Usually MiG 15 engines on the back of a Zil or Ural 6x6 truck... I'll see if I can find a photo somewhere...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

sounds like a good 1/35 to build. or 1/72, even. i think the truck is out there.

The RAF used to use a similar system - a couple of old jet engines ( I think they were Derwents from Meteors ) mounted on a contraption you could bolt to the front of a refuelling bowser.

The operator sat in a "cockpit" between the 2 engines, and could direct th jet efflux as required.

We certainly had these untill around the late 80's, when they were withdrawn. The sight of one shifting huge chunks of ice from the pan was truly awesome to see

I do have a picture and better details in a book ( in the attic - not to hand ) and could dig them out if you are interested

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

Saw one being used on a TV boradcast of a NASCAR race last year. It was to dry rain slicked sections of the course that were causing far too many spin outs and slowed the race. I recall it wasn't too successful in its objective and caused as many problems as it was supposed to fix.

Reply to
klmok

pissah!

Found my picture, and tried to e-mail to the original poster - if you are out there, mail me direct please

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

on the way

The last time I was at Brize' there was a setup there too! Place your bets on the Conway!

The steel frame rig sat on its own though. No lorry behind it so it was attached to some kind of wheeled vehicle.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Hi Bill,

TMS-65! Used to work in pairs, hooked up to an ARS-14 each and blasting bleach slurry through a nozzle ring at the efflux of the engines. They were usually parked "staggered" and the tanks/APCs would drive between them...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

a very big thanks.