Revell Artist Jack Leynnwood in June Wings Magazine

Just picked up the June issue of Wings Magazine that contains a fascinating article about Revell artist Jack Leynnwood. Leynnwood painted a massive amount of box art for Revell spanning the 1950s through the mid-70s. I always found his box top paintings totally captivating and would often buy a Revell kit just because of the cool picture, even if I had no interest in the subject of the model itself. Although this article only focuses on his aviation art, Leynnwood also produced box art for Revell's ship and car models. If you were around in the early days of plastic modeling, this article should be a pleasant walk down memory lane.

Martin

Reply to
centennialofflight

I'll have to look that one up. Thanks for the tip!

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

This is an outstanding article, which features many excellent illustrations. It also is an excellent resource for modeling...as good as any book by Kalmbach, for example. The article describes, and illustrates, the concept of "perceived reality vs. actual reality"; a form of "artistic license". It is a concept far too often missing in the realm of "rivet counters and paint-chip fanatics" that we all-too-often are subjected to.

Heartily recommended....

Reply to
Greg Heilers