slightly O.T. - help wanted

I have a bunch of clippings from old magazine articles and am trying to upgrade my filing system. I have seen plastic baggies sized for documents but I don't know where to find them. They look like the press and seal freezer and sandwich bags one buys in the supermarket but they are sized for documents. The one I would like to find a supply of was used to package a paper back book from the U.K., it is about 9" wide and 13" high, with the opening along the 9" edge. Anybody have a lead as to where I could find such a thing? I have tried Office Depot.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
Bill Shuey

I use plastic 8.5" x 11" loose-leaf sleeves I get from Costco. They don't seal like zip-loc bags, but I can buy them in bulk and they work great for saving individual magazine pages.

Reply to
Rufus

I think the comic book shop suppliers might have something like that. Though comics are smaller than 8 1/2 x 11.

WmB

Reply to
WmB

Bill Shuey said the following on 02/03/07 03:48:

What might be more useful are the ones with the ring binder edge strip.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Bill, you might take a look for bags for Life Magazines. At the collectors shows I go to there is usually a table with a dealer selling bulk plastic bags, and they had sizes big enough for the old full size Life mags. You do though, have to fold and tape them closed, like comic bags, they do not have seals.

wander thru this google search.

Craig

crw59

Bill - I've been going through my old Fine Scales, Scale Modelers, Air Trails, Air Progress and ~lots~ of other mags and scanning and downloading all the articles that I find useful (this includes display models into a gallery section) and then transferring the data to a USB drive for backup storage. I've also added stuff from model railroading mags for diorama construction. The storgae system is easy enough to use and I can find most data in a few minutes. If I'm working on a specific kit or need a specific tip, I print it up and I'm good to go. HTH.

Reply to
The Old Man

Our local comic shop has two sizes, one for comics and one for magazines. They don't quite fit A4 size mags but they're close enough.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

"Bill Shuey" wrote

Hey Bill, it's the 21st century now. How about scanning them little old paper clippings and making PDF files to store on your computer? It's not hard and doesn't take too much time once you get rolling. I'm working my way through my large stack of modelling mags and scanning the articles I want to keep; the rest are going up to the local hospital to give the guys something to read besides women's magazines... I know what a cow that is - I spent 2 weeks in there a couple of years ago.

If you need some guidance or advice, contact me off-list and I'll see what I can do. I'm using free software to do it, so the only expense is a scanner. Unless you can beg, borrow or steal one...

Rob

Reply to
AussieRob

Bill, if you look on the shelves near the resealable sandwich bags in the supermatrket you will see all sizes., I use ones that can fit A4 size documents in with ease, up to (about) 80 + pages of A4.

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks for the feedback. I have been steered to an outfit called Uline that makes what I want. However, the idea of electronic storage may also be investigated. I received a "Sandisk" Cruzer drive for Christmas and will investigate it's potential. Imagine, 2 Gigabytes on that little thing.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
Bill Shuey

easiest way to install windows i ever found! hex edit in the serial number and off you go.

Yeah, now if I could just get mine to work. I bought a 1GB and a 2GB Simpletech Bonzai Xpress flash drive from Newegg last week but have not been able to load the Win98SE drivers. Keeps coming up with a conflict in Device Manager....

Reply to
M. J. Rudy

the 200k or xp should work. had the same problem. kept saying it was ok and it wasn't. lmk if you get stuck, ok?