Smarty Jones to rendered into glue

I like the car I saw once that had a PETA bumper sticker on one side and a pro-choice one on the other side.

IOW, save the whales, kill the humans?

Reply to
mjrudy

People Eating Tasty Animals !!!!!!

Card carrying member here. Only thing better than meat and potatoes, is meat and meat !!!

I think the tree hugger who fell asleep (protecting a tree of course) and fell 30+ feet and broke a few bones is my favorite !!!! The video was pricless, he woke up on the way down :)

Azzz1588

"Keeper" wrote

No. See subject line of your post.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Wow, this is getting stranger by the minute. A perfectly good source of amino acids not being utilized. I suppose some wimpering liberals fomented such action. I've been told that horsemeat is sold for human consumption in France. If you had a choice between a pig and a horse, which would you eat? Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

snip

What a lot of those people forget is that essentially we are a bag of water and the only thing holding that bag together is PROTIEN which must be replaced daily from other protien sources. Veggies won't do it. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Got a link to that? Sounds classic!!!!

Reply to
Psych-O-Delic Voodoo Thunder Pig

Q--Is the prohibition against the slaughter of horses for human consumption that's now working its way through the Illinois legislature designed to save the lives of horses?

A--No. Sen. John Cullerton (D-Chicago), who wrote the current version of the legislation, says he expects that many of the unwanted horses that would have been killed and their meat sold overseas will instead end up at the rendering plant.

Q--What does rendering involve?

A--According to the National Renderers Association, it begins when the owner of a dead animal pays a renderer to take away the carcass. At the plant--skipping over the icky details--the remains are turned into fats, oils and protein meal that ends up in a variety of non-edible consumer products such as soap and candles, as well as supplements for poultry and hog feed.

Q--And pet food?

A--No longer. The Pet Food Institute in Washington, D.C., says, "It has been many years" since Rover and Whiskers chowed down on Old Dobbin.

Q--So it will remain OK to pay someone to turn a dead horse into chicken feed, but it will be illegal to sell an unwanted horse to someone who will turn it into food for Europeans to eat. Where's the logic in that?

A--This is not about logic. The legislation is largely fueled by our cultural fondness for horses. Americans object to eating horses for the same reason we object to eating dogs and cats, even though we kill millions of them every year due to overpopulation.

Q--Are people who love horses squarely behind this bill?

A--No. The Horsemen's Council of Illinois, the American Horse Council, the American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Quarter Horse Association are among the organizations that claim an interest in animal welfare yet oppose this and a similar bill in the U.S. Congress.

Q--Don't they agree that it's revolting for humans to eat horse meat?

A--Many of them do. But they argue that slaughter is a sensible, economically productive and humane way of disposing of horses no one wants.

Q--Don't slaughterhouses kill horses in a barbaric fashion?

A--The bolt-to-the-brain method, also used with cattle, has been deemed "acceptable and humane" by the American Association of Equine (Veterinary) Practitioners, which opposes the ban.

The National Horse Protection Coalition in Washington, which supports the ban, argues this point. Its Web site maintains that "low-skilled slaughterhouse employees" often botch the job and cause the horses extreme suffering, and that horses are subject to great stresses prior to slaughter.

Q--Who says "no one wants" these horses?

A--The marketplace. According to an excellent two-part series in the Orlando Sentinel this week, horses bound for the two operating U.S. horse slaughterhouses (the one in DeKalb that's prompting the current fuss, Cavel International, has yet to re-open after a fire) sell for less than $500, which is a fraction of the annual cost of keeping a horse.

The Horse Protection Coalition argues that if we put a stop to this practice, "many of the horses previously slaughtered would instead be kept by their owners or placed at sanctuaries."

Q--How many horses are we talking about here?

A--About 80,000 horses were slaughtered in the U.S. and Canada for human consumption in 2003--roughly 1 percent of the horse population.

Q--How many jobs will be lost in Illinois if the bill in Springfield passes?

A--Cavel plans to employ 40 people if and when it reopens. Cullerton, who moved the bill out of the Senate last week and expressed confidence it will reverse an earlier 5-vote defeat in the House later this week, says these won't be new jobs because Cavel will cause the local rendering industry to lay off employees.

But dead horses make up a very small percentage of any rendering facility's input, according to the National Renderers Association, and Cavel will bring business in from dozens of states.

Q--Where can I read more from both sides to help me make up my mind?

A--At chicagotribune.com/notebook>

Okay, the above is the article for those who didn't want to sign on the Tribune. What strikes me as odd was the line "80,000 horses are slaughtered in the US and Canada for human consumption." I'm assuming said horsemeat is being sold elsewhere 'cause I don't hear about any folks eating horse on this continent.

Also note no one in the horse business wants the slaughterhouses closed, it's some other group. I gotta wonder why feeding horse is not good for pets yet it's fine to feed to herbivore livestock. I see another outbreak of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy.

Put me in charge, the nonsense will stop!

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

"Keeper" wrote

It was this same strain of pointless "fondness" that drove my uncle's beaver milk operation out of business about 10 years ago. "It's not natural to drink beaver milk", someone wrote in the paper. Oh yeah? What the f*ck is natural about adult humans drinking the mother's milk of a cow??

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin

Horsemeat is available at a few butcher shops in New York State and is delicious! There is less fat, and what fat there is, is marbled throughout the meat. My butcher told me that his meat is slaughtered locally (Western New York)

PETA was also into doing criminal activities themselves. They broke into the University of Buffalo medical research facilities several times over the course of the past twenty years and freed research animals, some of which were infected with various diseases that were being looked into and they destroyed valuable research papers and computer files, ruining literally years of work. I lost my parents to cancer that might have been treatable had some of that research survived.

Of course.

The Old Timer

Having eaten both, and given a casual choice not borne of hunger, I'd go with the pig. Horsemeat is a little chewy for my taste, but....

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

milk of a cow??>>

Ya know, I've pondered that point a time or two myself. We can drink the milk of an animal not even remotely related to us, but the thought of an adult drinking human breast milk is repulsive...go figure.

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci

Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy

Since when ;-)

WmB

WmB

And just what does one do with beaver's milk?..I've never heard of such a thing...not that they aren't mammals and can't be milked. But a certain scene from "Meet the Parents" sort of springs to mind...

Reply to
Rufus

I know a lot of people that would volunteer to milk a beaver ;-)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I'm sure there are a few websites where you could find them not only volunteering, but getting paid for it...

Reply to
Rufus