So......what's next on the target list???

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg on Friday called for a Washington D.C. National Guard unit to halt all operations in New Jersey until it determines how and why an F-16 jet strafed an Ocean County school with 20mm cannon fire.

Calling the actions of the pilot "totally incomprehensible," Lautenberg, D-N.J., asked the District of Columbia Air National Guard to suspend all training operations over New Jersey skies until an investigation into Wednesday's mishap is completed.

The senator also demanded a "guarantee that nothing like this can ever happen again."

A spokesman for the unit, Capt. Sheldon Smith, did not return telephone messages seeking comment Friday. New Jersey National Guard officials referred all inquiries to the 113th wing, which is based at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland, which is where the jet came from.

The school will reopen Monday after workers repair the damage from the

2-inch-long lead bullets.

The National Guard was still trying Friday to figure out how the single-seat jet on a nighttime training mission fired 25 rounds, many of which struck the Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School

Reply to
JJ

...actually, the bullets were probably steel.

Reply to
Rufus

Is there a range in New Jersey? Any appropriate reason why an F-16 from Maryland would be firing in New Jersey? Lotsa questions to be answered. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

It must have failed to meet the standards of the No Child Left Behind act.....

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Reply to
Steve Collins

Um Al,....beer, monitor, papertowels, you know the drill.....;)

Reply to
Ron

A good coat of Future will protect your monitor's screen from inadvertant and uncontrollable spittle...... ;-p

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Possibly. But now knowing that it was a D.C. Air Guard Viper, I'd advise all "Blue States" to beware.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Carroll

You know, I have not (and will not) weigh in on the whole election thing, but that is the single DUMBEST (in practice) law I have had the experience of having foisted onto me.

Especially since it is the second biggest unfunded mandate since the special education law.

Both laws are good ideas, but both have become huge burdens to states and to largely caring committed professionals doing the very best they can for the neediest of kids.

But back on topic, come on guys... how do you miss the range by that much?!? And if you were not sure, why pull the trigger? yipes.. most schools are pretty close to residental neighborhoods... another half second and he's strafing the Joneses..

Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

I've learned to pay attention to the by line. When it says Al i put down whatever I'm drinking before I read it. Havn't had to wipe the moinitor in quite a while.

Reply to
ARMDCAV

"JJ" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Since Lautenberg ascended his thrown illegally, I don't give a f**k what he says. Another fine example of election tampering by DemonRats.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

grey snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Gray Ghost) wrote in news:Xns959991BBA2B9Wereofftoseethewizrd@127.0.0.1:

Honest Democrats need not take offense at this. What was done in Jersey was illegal, immoral and convenient for the DemonRats.

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Now, now....there is no need to be insulting rats. I imagine some mice may feel a bit offended as well. And some of the satanic demons of the world may be a bit upset as well...

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Jerry 47

Reply to
jerry 47

...or their GPS...or their NVGs...or their mission planner...

Reply to
Rufus

Its a lesson for whover serves on a PTA committee - be careful who you piss off, they may drive a viper TSR2

Reply to
TSR2

Hmmnn...I've got my doubts about that whole corridor up there...

Reply to
Rufus

Ummm... maybe a FAC from New York? :P

Reply to
Kaliste

In article , JJ writes

So they're actually sending ANG Vipers out to practice friendly fire now? Or was it a Collateral Damage drill?

Cheers,

Reply to
Moramarth

This is not the first incident with that training range. One plane went out of control causing the pilot to punch out. Two others have dropped bombs on the Pine Barrens and started fires. Sounds like combat equipment is needed for the civil population there. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller