Thunderbolts in Korea?

Heya folks!

Just got my latest FSM shipped to me from the states and one of the gallery photos is of an F-47 Thunderbolt in ROKAF markings. Apparently flown by a USAF pilot. I'm making one of everything that operated in the Korean War, and I'm stumped by this... All of the research I've done says that the Jug did _NOT_ fly in the Korean War.

Anybody got any documentation anywhere on the web that'll force me to buy another kit? I'm willing to make a Jug in ROKAF markings, but I can't confirm that they were involved in the conflict.

Thanks in advance!

-ahill

Reply to
hill4448

It is a "what-if" aircraft. No F-47s ever served in Korea. The magazine did not note that it was a "what-if" build!

Dean

My dad was an AF pilot, flew P-51s, ended up being an instructor pilot for ROKAF, flew F-51s with USAF markings except there was a Korean national marking on it. Buy the Tamiya kit of the Korean F-51, put Korean markings on the wings instead of USAF, that's it. Don't see why they didn't turn over P-47s to them. Rest of squadron transitioned to F-86s. There were also SAAF, RAAF F-51s at the base. Don't know about New Zealand.

Reply to
frank

Found this

for losses

for general info

both good references more than enough ideas. Loss of an SB-17, now that's interesting.....

Reply to
frank

any particular reason the Jug was passed over in favor of the Corsair and Mustang and others?

Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

The Kiwi's also flew the 'Stang and the stuff I've found all show's that it was a logistical decision. With the Jugs the Quartermasters would have had a much larger inven- tory and needed more shipping. Hence, it does make sense. But the 'Stang was a more fragile a/c for the CAS role compared to the Jug or Skyraider. The Corsair was also vulnerable because of the location of the oil coolers being on the underside of the a/c.

Reply to
hill4448

The build was a What-If build. The FineScaleModeler magazine editors 'cleverly' edited out the paragraph where the author/builder explained his thinking for having a P-47 in the Korean War.

Nick

Reply to
Nick P

I understand that the idea of using P-47s in Korea was considered, but discarded due to insufficient stocks of spare parts.

Reply to
Mike

This link seems to explain it all :

Chris

Reply to
CCBlack

When I went to the reunion of my dad's old squadron, some of the older guys were talking about how they got the F-51s from Tennessee Air Guard, one other state, they scrubbed the paint off, made them USAF, could still see the markings. Just a note for the IPMS judgeswinen.....

Also, Corsairs, were flown from some land strips, don't know the location. Dad wanted to fly one, Navy Airedale said, sure if I get to fly your F-51. Dad figured up how many paychecks it would cost to replace it, said no deal. Though I'm really surprised he didn't talk the Airedale out of a flight.....want a good diorama, pile the snow up over the vertical stab, make a sort of cleared parking spot on PSP, you'll see what the weather was like at times.

No doubt both airplanes made lots of Marines and GDI very happy they were on call.

Reply to
frank