What Major Aircraft Were Not Produced as a Model?

The Air Force brought a C-17 to the Santa Rosa show yesterday and today. I think that the general opinion before the show was "Ho hum, a big jet transport". But when that thing landed in an incredibly short distance, then stopped and backed up....! Quite an aircraft.

Tom

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> Now that the C-17 is ending its production run w/o a main stream model

Reply to
maiesm72

Vacuformed C-17 in 1/72 by Combat Models. Announced by Panda as injecton molded kit in 1/72, yet to be seen.

Tom

Jessie C wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Actually, the Merln Br.14 isn't too bad I've built two and only replaced some small parts. It was one of their very few buildable kits. The Pegasus kit is better by far. There are several excellent vacuform Br.14s from HR, Czech Omega and Czech Master as well as a couple of good vacuforms by Wings 72 and Formaplane. I don't think that MPM/Azur/et al will wait too long, most likely Azur.

Tom

Stephen T> >

Reply to
maiesm72

Enzo, come on man, the Merlin kit was close to perfect. Of course I don't remember which of a score of Merlin kits meant to be somethng else such as a TSR-2 or a Kaman HOK-1, it was, but then it was to the ever popular 1/54 scale, not 1/72, so I ignored it.

Tom :-)

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

No Salmson 2A2 from Merlin, but Pegasus did a pretty fair kit n 1/72. Choroszy Modelbud and Czech both did good cast resn Salmsons. 1/48? What's that?

Tom

Stephen T> >

Reply to
maiesm72

Kim

Beech Staggerwing injection molded 1/72 from Meikraft, Merlin and Sword, who did one with wheels and one with floats. Rareplane's second incarnation D.17 is quite nce, too.

Tom

kim wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Kim Argosy from Airways in vacuform to 1/72.

Tom

kim wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

All three have been done to 1/72 in vacuform. Want a list?

Tom

Richard Brooks wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

They better be good Salmsons for the price you pay on them! I keep hoping that Roden will do a 1/72 one, but they slowed down some.

I used to do > No Salmson 2A2 from Merlin, but Pegasus did a pretty fair kit n 1/72.

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

O scale in North American model railroading. Really too large an aircraft scale if one wants a truly representative cross-section of aircraft models.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;Þ

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

I went on board an RAF one a couple of years ago. The cargo deck looked like an ordinary cargo deck, with rails, hooks, stops and all sorts of projections sticking out. The crew needed a flat deck. On a Herc, that would have taken an hour's work to lift everything and stow it all. Not on a C-17 though. The loadmaster simply threw a switch on a control panel and everything sank into the deck and disappeared! It reminded me of the scene in "Batman" where Michael Keaton is running away from the Batmobile and mutters "Shields!" under his breath!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I'd still want a mainstream kit from someone like Hasegawa. The trouble is that Hasegawa would no doubt produce the most Frankensteiny of Frankenstein kits in an attempt to cater for all of the 73 distinct versions. The AEW Mk

37 1/2 with its triple fuselages would cause a particular problem.
Reply to
Enzo Matrix

not a major aircraft production numbers wise, but it is important in aviation technology: did anyone ever produce a Hughes H-1 in any scale? (esp. 1/72)

Reply to
Pauli G

Hughes racer:

jwadetjpp

Thanks, Tom. Like most people here I was thinking in terms of injection moulding from a major manufacturer.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I obviously diidn't google too hard, mainly because I'm planning a R/C flying model with a a vintage petrol engine if at all possible.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

CMR just did a kit that allows you to build both the long wing and short wing variants(2 complete kits in one box). Both versions are also available in 1/48.

Reply to
Jessie C

snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com said the following on 21/08/06 06:50:

It'd be only the Shorts Belfast for me - then again, a Bristol Britannia would be nice.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

Kim

Google smoogle. All it takes is a subscription to ESM 72 and maybe ordering a back issue volume or two. :-)

Tom

kim wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72

Short Belfast in 1/72 cast resin from Magna Models, vacuform from Sanger.

Bristol Britana in 1/72 vacuform from Sanger and Airways.

Good luck, both are big projects with possible breathtaking results in the right hands.

Tom

Richard Brooks wrote:

Reply to
maiesm72