Frustrated!

Well known mathematics.

Or a heuristic search of 1 billion indexed web pages.

So complexity cannot be had without crashes? This simply isn't true. Even if it were true, the answer is to *decrease* the complexity.

For example, mating relationships have been made out to be more complex than they really are. The gentleman in the office across from mine has written some VB code to analyze mates and tell you the true DOF of the assembly. His humble opinion is that SW has botched mating in a variety of ways.

For CAD maybe. But then most CAD companies don't have to try very hard. A CAD company can screw things up for a long, long, long time before an appreciable number of users jump ship. Doing so is painful, simply because their data is held hostage.

Complexity does not equate to more crash-prone. Crashes are caused by design flaws. Claiming that complexity causes crashes is like suggesting that Einstein is lucky to have not poked his own eye out doing all those complex calculations with pen and paper.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

OoooK.....

Good luck on your quest for the Grail....

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

hundred different things.<

Although this may be true, I have been getting the "unhandled error" on the rate of several times per hour after upgrading to SP2.1. With SP0 I maybe got it once a week. There is something with this SP that causes that crash more.

pope

Reply to
pope

It seems very simple then. You have no choice but to quit using solid modeling software. Zero, Period ...

Problem solved.

Have a nice day. Bill

Reply to
bill allemann

On the other hand, I think we're getting about the same number of crashes per day on 2.1 as we were on SP0 (roughly 0-4, sometimes spiking up to 7 or

8, but usually only when we get something repeatable). Did your work change in any way about the time you went to SP2.1?

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Spoken like a true sheep.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

Keep swinging at those windmills Don Scully! :-)

JJ

Reply to
JJ

I would be willing to put money on the fix being related to your system, set up or installation rather than regressions in the sp.

I'm not crash free, I had an ugly one last night at a user group presentation, but my crashes are limited to 1-2 per week using sweeps and lofts, surfacing and sheetmetal. I don't work much with large assemblies. These are seemingly random unreproducible crashes, although I have noticed one pattern. When I see double icons in the upper left or upper right of the SW window, I know a crash will happen if I just keep working.

anyway, good luck.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (pope) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

Hummm....If I were to use the engineering method of failure and productivity analysis, I might be tempted to ask if you have tried the obvious & downgraded back to SolidWorks 2003 SP5?

Bo snipped-for-privacy@tilikum.com

Reply to
Bo Clawson

matt, jerry,

I can't think of what is different with my setup after i installed SP2.1. I probably exaggerate on my crashes. Sometimes it does happen once every hour, but for instance I haven't had a crash all day and it's almost 1:00. I do run large assemblies, and it does seem to happen then. Sometimes though it will happen in a medium sized assembly. I can't seem to draw any connections and it happens so suddenly. Needless to say, I save my drawings non-stop.

Reply to
pope

I remember using Microstation and the drawings would always become corrupt. There was even some software developed to repair the corrupt drawings. And this was on an Intergraph workstation running Unix!

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne