Mass properties

I've created a custom property called "mass" and linked it to the component's calculated mass property. I've then added this custom property to the drawing sheet. The units are grams - can I change it to be in kg?

If it can be changed, can it be done on either a document or system-wide setting?

Regards, John Harland SWX2004

Reply to
John H

Changing the default units for the part document to Kg comes to mind.

TOOLS/OPTIONS/DOC PROPS/UNITS

Switch to MKS. Both the length and mass units have to be changed.

Reply to
TOP

Or switch to Custom. Then you can make your length, angle, density, and force units be any combination you like.

Jerry Steiger

"Jerry Steiger" wrote

Unfortunately, neither of these suggestions seems to work. If I use MKS, my dimensions are in metres, which is no good. If I use "custom", the only way to get the mass in kg is to have your length units in metres - as soon as you change to mm, the mass gets calculated in grams.

Any thoughts?

regards, John Harland SWX2004

Reply to
John H

Can you not assign the property mass to the SW custom property and then divide by 1000? (Using the mm length units). I cann't test this here on SW2006, there is a seperate option for the weight units (kg/gram/pounds). \/\/im

"John H" :

Reply to
Wim

Changing to MKS in the part makes the drawing units change?

Reply to
TOP

I don't want to model in metres as its a PITA to enter a dimension of

0.00015m rather than 1.5 mm, but bizarrely SWX seems to express the mass in grams if the length unit is mm, even if the density is set to kg/m^3.

John

Reply to
John H

SW2006

Seems to work fine here. I can set the drawing to mm, set the part file to mm, and set the part file mass units to Kg. Then a note tied to the part mass comes through as Kg.

WT

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

John H kirjoitti:

It's SW04, 05/06 works ok, but with 04 you have to deal with grams or use some kind of workaround.

Reply to
Markku Lehtola

Thanks Markku and others - I was coming to that conclusion myself. Glad to hear it's been fixed in later versions.

John Harland

Reply to
John H

Is it possible in SWX2004 (or 05/06) to specify the number of decimal places or significant figures that a property is displayed to?

TIA John Harland

Reply to
John H