Question on use of Item Numbers

We use Item Numbers across several systems and documents. It starts with our assemblies drawings. We place a parts list (CAD modeled parts) on the drawing that contains an Item Number (right now sequential

1..through the number of parts on the drawing). Each part in the drawing is identified by its associated Item Number. This parts list is created from the normal SolidWorks BOM tools and follow the assembly order.

Assembly documentation typically in the form of a word document with pictures is the manufacturing contribution. This document uses the same Item Number generated above but relies on the alignment to the internal Part Numbers this parts list creates. We also denote this Item Number in our ERP and any Work Orders it generates. We also use DBWorks in house and it also generates an Item Number associated to any BOM's it creates.

Of course our BOM"s get increasingly more detailed (additional items, like non-modeled items - glue, tape, etc are added to DBWorks, then material cards, processes and such are added at the ERP step)

The question to you all is...

  1. Do you use item Numbers within your companies?

  1. How do you keep them synchronized across the systems or processes like above?

  2. Do you deploy any other methods to help address this issue?

--Matt Feider

Reply to
Matt Feider

I used to try to sync item numbers... now I have abandoned that idea. I create a Bill of material that lists item number and part number. My part numbers are unique and never duplicate. My item numbers are only a cross reference from the ballon on that sheet back the the item number or "line item" on the bill of material shown on that sheet. Notice that on any other sheet the item number can be different. It is the part number that remains unique! I enter the unique part number into our MRP system. Hope this idea helps....

Reply to
whynotdesign3d

Item numbers are for the assembly drawing and engineering bom. To me, it doesn't make reference to them in manufacturing documentation unless they depend on the same drawings/documents as engineering.

Reply to
fcsuper

Hi;

New reader here and funny enough I have been asked to clarify the difference between Item Numbers and Part Numbers just a few days ago. I did explain the logic behind the way the system works, but the client of mine was still in confusion. I hope that with your post it will be easier to convince him that I am not alone in my vision of how to deal with Parts List.

Thank you,

Igor.

Reply to
Igor Mironenko

Matt,

We've been trying to do that for years. The only way to control the Item Number is to create your own File Property, I'll call it MyItemNumber, and then assign whatever Item Number you want to that. Forget about being able to control the default ITEM NUMBER, it's not worth your time. When you balloon you'll have to set the balloons to display the Custom Property 'MyItemNumber' rather then ITEM NUMBER. I then go into the BoM, hide the ITEM NUMBER column and add a column for MyItemNumber.

As for glue, tape, etc... I have no good solution for that. Supposedly SW2007 will be able to handle that...we'll see.

Ken

Reply to
Tin Man