Selecting entities for dimensions

This is driving me nuts.....

I detail a lot of assemblies that are made from extruded aluminum frame members (Bosch, 80/20, etc). When I use the Smart Dimension tool (or ordinate, horizontal, vertical, etc), I have a very difficult time picking the profile edges. SWX will select tangent edges of the corner radii (tangent edges not displayed, select hidden edges unchecked) instead of the profile edge of the member. To actually select the correct edge for dimensioning, I need to zoom in closer to avoid the tangent being highlighted. After that, I need to place the cursor on exectly the correct position to get the edge to highlight. If I am off by even a single pixel or two, the highlighting turns off! I then need to zoom out and then back in again to select the opposite edge for dimensioning, then back out again to place the dimension.

In AutoCAD there is an option for the pick area size, and I seem to remember UG and PRO-E having a similar feature. Is there somewhere I can reduce the sensitivity of picking edges for dimensioning?

Thanks! Dave

SWX 2005 SP 3.0

Reply to
Dave Nay

This is the kind of thing a Spaceball will help cure.

The other thing is to use a different technique in modeling the 80/20 that would eliminate the minute detail added to the larger features and place it in other sketches.

Reply to
TOP

"Dave Nay" wrote ;

I have a similar problem. However, in my case I have square tubing with sharp corners. What my computer selects is the inside corner. It is also common for me to be unable to select an edge for the second item on a dimension. I can select either edge, but only that one edge. I've also tried selecting the endpoint instead, but again I can't select that second item that the dimension needs.

I'm on 2005 sp 3.1

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
Joe Dunfee