SP 2.1 Crash?

OK what gives. Does any one else have this problem or is it just me. Tried to update my machine with SP 2.1. After over one hour to update and I start the program all it does is crash. "Do want to send MS a report" " Sorry!" So I removed all SW software and installed a fresh copy. Down load Service Patch from 0 to 2 and guess what the $^^%$*&$ software does it again. Now I spent the entire morning and have to remove the software again!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Just a guess...did you have your AV software running?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

Hi Dave,

I have had a similar experience today. I upgraded to 2.1 and found that when I had an Assembly open and another window popped up or I toggled to say Excel or whatever, Solidworks did not reload and disappeared with a message 'unhandled error...blah blah...' I also spent half a day unloading and reloading using the infernal windows Installer (What problem is installer supposed to fix exactly, that is worse than the waste of time it causes?), and in the end settled for SP2.0 which works OK for me. I have W2000SP4 and the PC has worked fine with SW for nearly 18 months, so its not a graphics problem. I reckon the patch is not that well tested...:o( Sorry this is more of a rant than any kind of help...but you are not alone!

Simon

Reply to
SimonNewDesign

SW has published a technical bulletin. There is an issue with SP2.1 installation. It provides some work around info. You may want to check the following website:

DHuffman

that's nice of 'em, thanks sw

Reply to
kenneth b

Hey guys, just an update on this. I worked with Dave on his issue...sorry to say, but I'm a....ready......VAR. I know how some people out here get with that word, just thought I'd throw some lame humor into the mix. :-) The issue seems to be related to bad registry entries. SW was uninstalled, directories deleted, registry entries in "Current User" and "Local Machine" were deleted for SolidWorks. Installed SP0.0 and it seems to work now, working on upgrading to SP2.1. It was strange why it was happening though, sometimes strange things happen. There wasn't any one thing we could pinpoint, but thanks to Dave for being patient and to SolidWorks support team for offering the suggestion that would fix it. Sporry to steal your thunder with my response Dave. :-) Kudos to SW for the suggested steps to fix.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

oh, you misunderstand. I (generally) don't have a problem with vars.

In fact, I feel some sympathy for you.

You have to deal _directly_ with all the people having problems with SW!

regards, nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Kudos to SW for the suggested steps to fix.

Jim,

Isn't that kinda like slashing someones tire and then handing them a lug wrench and a jack?

The WI is a problamatic slow pile of shit..... Deal with it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

Markm,

Don't know who you are, but your comments were a bit rude. I was just chiming in to explain that the issue was resolved in case someone else experienced something similar. Unlike you I was trying to be helpful. It wasn't necessarily tied to WI, but you may be correct, I'm no expert. As far as WI being slow, I agree. I don't see how your post added an value to this thread though. Thanks anyways.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

Mark's been posting here for a long time. I thought his comments were very much to the point. The pile comment was a bit crude perhaps, but it's hard to argue with its accuracy.

I was just

Mark was trying to help SW understand that they have caused a lot of problems for a lot of customers.

Most of us don't understand how WI has added any value to SW. The solution is worse than the original problem.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger