MDC HO and HOn3 Shays?

I frankly doubt that the present continuance of sugar subsidies -along with every other big-business subsidy- bears directly on the fact that Katherine Harris did her level best to throw the election in favor of Bush -and I don't doubt for a moment that she at *least* tried. (There were lots of folks who helped Bush steal that election, though, and she's just one more "the-results-justify-the-means" right-wing fanatic.)
The good news is that the American public has gotten a real eyeful of what happens to a country that turns it's government over to a bunch of extremists, and public opinion seems to be swinging back towards the middle again.
The bad news is that if the Democrats manage to screw things up as badly as we all know they might, it could easily go back in the other direction again.
"P. Roehling" wrote:

Your "middle" is the civilized world's "far right".
Regards, Greg.P.

The fact that you think you're singularly qualified to define "civilized world" is the reason so few people bother listening to you on any subject except model railroads.
On 2/23/2008 7:53 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

Except that he happens to be dead-on right about this. The world outside the Untied Snakes of America is a far different place from the comfortable cocoon we've woven around ourselves.
"P. Roehling" wrote:

I'll take that as a compliment!
On 2/21/2008 11:52 PM P. Roehling spake thus:

Russia's relationship with Cuba is intensely political, as you very well know. If present-day Russia was not under constraints to renounce Communism, as it is, then it would probably still be Cuba's primary trading partner. And the way things are going, with Putin chafing under the US's continued imperial thrusts and demands, and with Russia aligning itself against the "west" on such matters as Kosovo, Iraq and Iran, it's not inconceivable that they might once again decide to subsidize Cuba.
By the way, I know firsthand about Soviet support of such regimes, having been in Nicaragua in 1988; one of the most poignant things we saw was the Soviet mobile field surgical unit being used on the grounds of the hospital in Lon after much of the hospital building was rendered unusable by an earthquake. The other amusing thing was the fact that a Soviet delegation was staying at the same hotel with us; we joked about how they seemed like fish out of water there, and always stayed together in their own little group at meal times, never interacting with any other guests. Nicaraguans had a complex love-hate relationship with the Russkis; on the one hand, Nicaraguans were grateful since they kept the country going in many ways, but on the other hand, there was a huge cultural dissonance between the two groups. (My main impression of the Nicaraguan people from that trip is that, like most Latin Americans, they were party animals at heart, not a bad thing to be.)

True but they still have to be maintained... and that isn't cheap either.
dlm

I must be a rarity. I've had only moderate dificulties with the HO version for decades. My only real problem was with the trucks coming apart. I ended up wiring them together! No problem since. Mine has great slow speed. It is rather noisy, but, that doesn't trouble me. The Bachmann Shay may be better, I really don't know. Their Climax, however, is a beautiful model. HTH.
Jerry