Off to the Store

Well it is Saturday and off to the train store. Davis Hobby Supplies, Portsmouth, Va.
I enjoy going there. It is about a 100 mile round trip for me, but worth it. The
owners are great. Mr Davis passed away this past year, but his wife and son are still keeping it open. I do not know how much longer that will last though. It will be hard to find another good one like this. More and more of the train stores are closing.
Well off I go
Chris
Chris wrote:

Well, if we want them to stay open, lets buy from them instead of off the internet. I know it costs me 20% more, but I get real human contact as well as the ability to touch and learn. It's also great to walk into a bricks and mortar and have someone say "hello Mike, how are you". Mike Mueller
mike mueller wrote:

Well I am back. Mrs Davis is doing well. Like she said "Christmas was rough". She looks good though. There were no hints of a closing, which is great.
I very seldom save 20% on the internet compared to going to the store. I figure shipping equals my gas, so that is even and I always get a discount at the store. Very seldom do I pay list price for anything.
You are right it is nice to walk in and be greeted "Hi Chris how is it down in North Carolina". After that my wife and her are busy talking about kids and grand kids. The thing is as they are talking my wife is looking, always cost me more money. I go with a list not the wife though, she likes it all.
This is a link to their web page http://www.davishobby.com /
Chris
Chris wrote:

Interesting coincidence:
Two stores selling model trains in close proximity were operated by Ralphs.
RobertVA wrote:

I am not sure I understand what you mean. The only store I know of is the one I linked above. Ralph Davis and his wife only had/have the one store that I am aware of.
Chris
Chris wrote:

Another (presumably unrelated since he has a different last name) Ralph operates a store on Chesapeake Blvd. in Norfolk.

In the Peoria area, there used to be two different hobby shops owned by Mikes. One is still in business, while the other one closed some time ago.
In Fort Wayne, there's two Phil's Hobby Shops, but they're owned by the same guy.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.
On 05 Jan 2009 04:53:15 GMT, Puckdropper wrote:

Did Krull's survive?
--
Steve

All that's there as of a few years ago is Phil's and Hobbyland.
Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as some
writers are incorrigible.

Chris,
Be sure to mention this on your visit. Letting someone know they'll be missed might encourage them to stick around a little longer.
Puckdropper