OT curt

Steve Caple spake thus:

He's deep in the heart of Jerry Falwell country.

It can be done easily with police powers. On more than one occasion I've witnessed owners of ISP's being awakened at odd hours to "assist" in the tracking down of various "indiscrete" network players/clowns.
You claiming to have such powers? Or would you have us believe you are well connected to money and muscle that you can get the "cooperation" required to produce results??

Talk is cheap Ray. Time to produce or pack it in.
Paul^H^H^H^H Steve the Other -- The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now. Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 04:52:28 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@steve.org (Steve Stevenson) instead replied:

All you have to do is simply admit you don't have a clue what I am discussing. It's just so undignified to beg for crumbs. -- Ray

I don't and neither do you.
Talk is cheap. The more you declare your potency the more obvious it becomes that you are impotent.
Paul^H^H^H^H Steve the Other -- The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now. Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 06:28:16 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@steve.org (Steve Stevenson) instead replied:

So guys like Curt win, in your mind. Well done. I have absolutely nothing to prove to you, mate. Nothing at all. Did you happen to notice how silent Curt is at the moment? That probably slipped your notice while you were being a pigheaded fool. -- Ray

Dear Ray "Walter Mitty" Haddad:

?????

You have nothing you can prove.

He's either busy posting as Ray or he's laughing his ass off reading your bragadocious bull.
Paul^H^H^H^H Steve the Other -- The lotto must be rigged, I should have won by now. Modular furniture is cruel and unusual.
Ray Haddad spake thus:

In case you hadn't noticed, he (curt) just posted at 9:18 this same am here.
Gotta say, "mate", your claims are looking more and more unbelievable.
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:35:22 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

I did notice. Are you really that dumb?

Prove they don't work. Your claims don't trouble me at all but it seems more like you'd rather that Curt continue unabated with his bragging about being anonymous and how you can't touch him.
That's your world, not mine.
If you believe you are anonymous here on Usenet, you probably believe you're really Clark Kent, too. If you believe you are truly anonymous anywhere on the World Wide Web, you really don't understand the technology you are using. That puts you in the company of probably 80% of users here.
It's nothing to be ashamed of, mate. -- Ray
Ray Haddad spake thus:

I never said, nor claimed, that I thought I was anonymous here, or indeed even on the WWW. To so claim would be foolish.
However, that doesn't make your boastful claims correct. They're not mutually exclusive things, "mate". Just because it's possible for people to hack and spy doesn't mean that you can do all those things you claim to be able to do.
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:08:09 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card"

You have a strange sense of what I have claimed, mate. You demanded that I tell you what kind of memory you're using when I never claimed any such ability. Where do you get this stuff? -- Ray
Ray Haddad spake thus:

You can't even keep posters here straight; why should we trust your magical mystical hacking abilities? That wasn't me; that was one of the other "Steves" here.
D "Steve # 5,083" N
Ray Haddad wrote:

The two of you are getting to be a bigger nuisance than "Curt." How about dropping the argument?
--
It's turtles, all the way down

I just want to see the home address determined in 10 minutes trick. Seriously, that would be cool, I'm not trying to slam anyone or start anything- I just would love to see that.
Ray you said it takes 10 minutes if the guy is online, maybe an hour if you go based on evidence left on here. So what is 10 minutes of your time worth? Or an hour? Seriously- this would be impressive to see- and it would end this whole back and forth exchange. One hour of your time, you get paid, you prove your point and we all move on.
Name your price- we can take a pool and send it via paypal if that works and your price is reasonable.
Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

Count me out. I don't swim in those type of waters.
Brad, I had a very similar idea. It would interesting to see (and learn from) an exercise like this. Some of what Ray is talking about I'm familiar with in an academic sense (like keystroke logging and packet sniffers) but it's a lot more fun to see this kind of stuff in action.
Regardless, his point that being anonymous on the 'net is almost impossible - especially if you stay on the legal side of things - is quite valid. You can protect yourself from the average script kiddie hacker wanna-be's, but if someone really wants to find you, log your passwords, or use your machine as a spambot mailer, there's not much you can do but turn off your computer and stay offline. -- Drew
Drew wrote:
SNIP

Yeah, there is. It's called using something other than WIntel for your system of choice.
MAC & OSX does quite nicely, and confuses the He.. out of the attempted 'other' users.
Chuck Davis
Charles Davis spake thus:

Yes. Maybe.
I put it to you that I'm just as safe using my Wintel box as any Mac user, regardless of all the religious hype to the contrary.
Not that I have a plain vanilla Wintel box. It's not fancy, really, but I do have a firewall installed. This, plus the fact that I don't use a mail client or browser (like Outhouse Express or Internet Exploiter) that walks around with an "Infect Me!" sign on its back keeps me pretty safe.
Nobody can start a remote process on my computer, when I'm online (which isn't all the time, as I don't have a high-speed connection) without my knowing about it. I know this because I get remote process initiation notifications from my firewall from time to time; all it takes is a quick "No thank!" to dismiss them. So nobody's going to be logging my keystrokes, or looking over my shoulder using something like VNC.
I suppose if some hacker made a super-concerted effort to hack their way into my machine, they might get somewhere, but all in all I feel pretty safe. And you know, a lot of it is just common sense: don't let your real email address be known, don't open questionable email messages or click on questionable links, stuff like that. And most of all, don't use the default, out-of-the-box Micro$oft software for Internet stuff.
Just as it's important to know that your anonymity is an iffy thing online, it's also important to realize the limits of what hackers and crackers can do and not give in to an inordinate level of unwarranted paranoia.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Just as safe? ---- Uh maybe, I was also going to mention LINUX as a possibility. It is inherently safer than "MSWindows", but any of the systems with the PROPER care can be pretty safe. (It sounds like you are.) It's just a lot harder starting with WIntel!
Chuck Davis
Charles Davis spake thus:

Well, that's for sure, especially when the default system comes with Internet Exploiter waving its sign, "Infect Me! Infect Me!".
Just wanted to point out that *no* systems--even ones with the vaunted Linux (notice capitalization)--are immune from attack, unless, as you point out, one takes precautions.
Reminds me of the attack at the place I used to work at, on one of our Linux servers connected to the Outside World. Actually, the attack, as described by our head techie, was quite impressive and a thing to admire.
The hacker(s) discovered a bug in the release of Linux we were running (which, of course, the server announced to the world), wherein if one tried to log in to the FTP client with a bogus user ID and password (didn't matter if it was valid or not), one could overflow the input buffer with a long string. So they gave a user ID and password (one or the other, don't remember which) that had executable code in it, then somehow (don't ask me how) found out where this overflow got stored in memory and got it to execute. That code, to make a long story short, allowed them to launch a massive DOS attack all over the world from our little server. Pretty clever, really.
--
Don't talk to me, those of you who must need to be slammed in the
forehead with a maul before you'll GET IT that Wikipedia is a
Could you elaborate on this point?