OT curt

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:05:10 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Yes, it would be considered a type of malware by your virus scanner but you can't stop port monitoring and piggy backing data on return packets. Curt's general location is correct. It's simply based on his NNTP posting host. Your analysis of his e-mail address has put you on the front door of one of AOL's branches. Easy mistake.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:08:09 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

You have a strange sense of what I have claimed, mate. You demanded that I tell you what kind of memory you're using when I never claimed any such ability. Where do you get this stuff?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray Haddad spake thus:

I didn't "analyze" his email address: I used his NNTP posting IP address. It's right there in the headers here for all the world to see. Don't know how you came up with east of Hudson River, NY.

Sheesh; now I'm wondering if it's even worth arguing with you further, as you really don't seem to know what you're talkin about.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ray Haddad spake thus:

You can't even keep posters here straight; why should we trust your magical mystical hacking abilities? That wasn't me; that was one of the other "Steves" here.

D "Steve # 5,083" N

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:29:31 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

You just keep right on believing that, mate. Go on back to your trains. You're anonymous and so is Curt. LOL

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray Haddad spake thus:

Well, folks, it's come to that part of the show where we say --

*plonk*

D "card-carrying Steve" N

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:07:15 -0800, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and David Nebenzahl instead replied:

Well, I guess he finally figured out that he lost the argument.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Becomes more obvious the more he posts ... eh!?

Paul (Steve the Other is on holiday)

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

What a cop out you 1/2 bit fake. Why would anybody pay you a penny if you can't demonstrate your claims are possibly true.

How could I, you haven't got a clue what your saying or suggesting.

You are the only one making ridiculous boasts about your capabilities. And when your claims are challenged you back peddle like a two year old caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Say hello to my killfile.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:51:29 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@pimin.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

Here's what it looks like to me.

I propose that Curt isn't as anonymous as he believes hinting at methods that will get by his proxy jumping.

You, and a few others here, have no idea what I am referring to so you challenge me on the hope that if I do it or explain it in detail, you will then have a clue.

If you can't figure it out, you have no chance of understanding the means or the methods. Go away and study TCP/IP for a while. Pay attention to packet switching and how IPs hand off packets to one another. By the way, that is your last clue. If you can't figure it out from that, too bad.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:51:29 -0000, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and snipped-for-privacy@pimin.wan.vpn (Paul Newhouse) instead replied:

Another one who is clueless but won't admit it. Sigh . . .

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

The two of you are getting to be a bigger nuisance than "Curt." How about dropping the argument?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I just want to see the home address determined in 10 minutes trick. Seriously, that would be cool, I'm not trying to slam anyone or start anything- I just would love to see that.

Ray you said it takes 10 minutes if the guy is online, maybe an hour if you go based on evidence left on here. So what is 10 minutes of your time worth? Or an hour? Seriously- this would be impressive to see- and it would end this whole back and forth exchange. One hour of your time, you get paid, you prove your point and we all move on.

Name your price- we can take a pool and send it via paypal if that works and your price is reasonable.

Does that sound like a reasonable idea?

Reply to
brad

Count me out. I don't swim in those type of waters.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

lol, I'm just glad we weren't playing cards! Bluffing on this bad hand would have cost me.

-- Drew

Reply to
Drew

Brad, I had a very similar idea. It would interesting to see (and learn from) an exercise like this. Some of what Ray is talking about I'm familiar with in an academic sense (like keystroke logging and packet sniffers) but it's a lot more fun to see this kind of stuff in action.

Regardless, his point that being anonymous on the 'net is almost impossible - especially if you stay on the legal side of things - is quite valid. You can protect yourself from the average script kiddie hacker wanna-be's, but if someone really wants to find you, log your passwords, or use your machine as a spambot mailer, there's not much you can do but turn off your computer and stay offline.

-- Drew

Reply to
Drew

SNIP

Yeah, there is. It's called using something other than WIntel for your system of choice.

MAC & OSX does quite nicely, and confuses the He.. out of the attempted 'other' users.

Chuck Davis

Reply to
Charles Davis

Charles Davis spake thus:

Yes. Maybe.

I put it to you that I'm just as safe using my Wintel box as any Mac user, regardless of all the religious hype to the contrary.

Not that I have a plain vanilla Wintel box. It's not fancy, really, but I do have a firewall installed. This, plus the fact that I don't use a mail client or browser (like Outhouse Express or Internet Exploiter) that walks around with an "Infect Me!" sign on its back keeps me pretty safe.

Nobody can start a remote process on my computer, when I'm online (which isn't all the time, as I don't have a high-speed connection) without my knowing about it. I know this because I get remote process initiation notifications from my firewall from time to time; all it takes is a quick "No thank!" to dismiss them. So nobody's going to be logging my keystrokes, or looking over my shoulder using something like VNC.

I suppose if some hacker made a super-concerted effort to hack their way into my machine, they might get somewhere, but all in all I feel pretty safe. And you know, a lot of it is just common sense: don't let your real email address be known, don't open questionable email messages or click on questionable links, stuff like that. And most of all, don't use the default, out-of-the-box Micro$oft software for Internet stuff.

Just as it's important to know that your anonymity is an iffy thing online, it's also important to realize the limits of what hackers and crackers can do and not give in to an inordinate level of unwarranted paranoia.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

A great choice for a variety of reasons, but by no means fool-proof or immune to many of the things talked about in this thread.

-- Drew

Reply to
Drew

Just as safe? ---- Uh maybe, I was also going to mention LINUX as a possibility. It is inherently safer than "MSWindows", but any of the systems with the PROPER care can be pretty safe. (It sounds like you are.) It's just a lot harder starting with WIntel!

Chuck Davis

Reply to
Charles Davis